Local stores for grow supplies? And 1st grow advice?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dissec, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody had advice on where to get growing supplies locally? I'm in Louisville, KY we have most major stores (walmart, meijer, lowes, etc.)

I'm probably going to do about 4 plants, preferably under CFL's (I just want to get my first grow out of the way)

So, any advice on: Which stores? Lights? Nutrients and soil?

P.S. Please don't come here to flame or tell me to do my research, its a waste of time for both of us.

P.P.S. How reliable are online seed banks? I was thinking of ordering from ATTITUDE SEEDBANK Cannabis Seeds
    Specifically this: CannaBiogen Leshaze

Do you guys think the genetics its got listed are legit?

2. Wow. So the idea of you doing your own homework is a wast of time? Then so is giving you advice.

All good growers are self-educated. If you're motivated to join the ranks you'll be welcomed. But if you want someone to spoon-feed it to you so you don't have to make your own effort, well that's just the path to dead plants.

3. No, I've done a decent amount of research, I just haven't been able to find the right kinds of lighting at my local stores, which is the main reason for my post, asking which local stores are likely to have the right kind of lights.

4. Well that's a little different. For CFLs you can get those anywhere, any of the stores you mentinoed and more. Nutes and soil you can get by with at places like that, but it won't be great. For soil you can blend your own using an organic potting soil mix, sphagnum moss, worm castings, and perlite. Stay away from Miracle Gro soil and soil amendments, they add time-released ferts to all their stuff which is very bad for MJ especially baby sprouts.

Attitude is reputable, many here have ordered successfully from them (incl me).

5. Lowes/Home Depot won't have the preferred HID lighting, but they'll have CFL's.

6. Thanks guys, and toastybiz I understand where you're coming from, I used to frequent hacking forums alot and hated when people asked simple questions.

I've looked for both the 2700k and 6500k at Walmart, but didn't see them, guess I'll have to look harder, the hydroponic store would probably have something if they're still open.

And yea, the seeds was the part worrying me the most because where I know I could just go get HID lighting and be fine, but still have seeds that weren't as good as advertised

7. #7 Doc-J, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    At walmart here in TN, the cfls are kind of hard to find the rating. The "soft white" cfls are the 2700k color and the "bright white" cfls are the 6500k. I seem to recall one of them had it on the box, but very very hard to find and the other I had to look up at the manufacturers website. The soft whites are cheaper, like $7.50 for a 3 pack 100W equivalents but the only 6500k's I found were in two bulb packs for $10. Every walmart is different though, even if they are ten miles apart they may stock different stuff.

8. Ahh okay that is a big help, and I'm sure I can find the electrical outlet to lightbulb adapters I've seen them on Lowes website so I should be able to find them. Thanks alot guys I'm pretty excited almost got my grow-desk set up now!

9. Yea, lowes or home depot either one. They may have them in the small electrical section of Walmart too.

10. If you find Sylvania cfl bulbs blue striped box is veg, red is flower. I found a bunch of my cfl lighting hardware at garage sales. At most "old couple" and "old widow" in amongst the tea cups and old purses there is usualy big brown box of wiring stuff, offer em $5 for the whole box. Go feel out some hydro stores for dirt and nutes, not sure about down there but mines "cool" I wish I went sooner.