Local Soil Mixes

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by crasha51pan, Feb 8, 2009.

1. #1 crasha51pan, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
    Have these available in bulk. Am going to grow in 6 gal. pots outside. One plant per pot. Any thoughts on which mix to consider ? They are sold by the yard.

1. 60% topsoil - 30% compost - 10% sand $25

2. 45% topsoil - 45% Glacier Gold Compost - 10% sand $35

3. topsoil - Glacier Gold Compost - Peat - Sand - Perlite/Vermiculite mix. $55

Would it be OK to start a seed in these mixes ?

I have amendments on hand (Kelp Meal - Bat Guano - Worm Castings) but am reluctant to use with new sprouts.....Should I use these with any of the mixes above ? Am going to give "Hollands Hope" a shot.....

2. Well option #1 is no. Topsoil is usually pretty clay heavy which is good for moisture
    retention but bad for MJ really.

I'd go with #2 since you are planning on adding soil amendments yourself anyways. Yeah
    it should be fine for seedlings. If you're scared, just try one seed first.. let it get a few
    leaf sets then plant the others.

#3 is probably overprices. You can buy your own perlite to mix in, and perlite is a must have!
    Get some nice fat horticulture perlite, about pea sized, for your grow.

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

3. It will be #2 or #3. Called and they will sell 1/2 a yard which should be plenty to fill 4 containers. Will 6 Gal. pots be adequate ?

4. yeah they should be, you could probably go bigger though, if you wanted, since they'll be outside

5. Yeah you gotta presume at least 1 gallon of soil per foot of vertical growth, but outdoor
    plants can be MONSTEROUS in size so I'd go bigger if I were you.

Some guys on here are using like 40-60 gallon pots for big outdoor grows. Check out
    Dankohzee's swamp grow for 2009.. wowzers :)

6. wow, why not just use the soil in the ground if youre going to use a 60 gallon pot, haha

7. It's better in case you have to move them for any number of reasons, poor light, or
    trespassers for example. Also better for controlling drainage, etc.

8. If you have a few extra bucks and really want to kick start your soil, be sure to add
    some mycorrhzae fungi like this on ebay.

9. It's my understanding that White Label Hollands Hope 100% indica does not get that tall, like some sativa plants. A 6' or 7' plant should do me just fine, thinkin that I can move a 6 gal. pot much easier than trying to horse around a 60 gal. drum. Gettin kind of "long in the tooth" for that.
    Will look at "mycorrhzae fungi", honestly I have never heard that before....Always like to learn somethin new !!