Living soil winter storage

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dukedogg76, Oct 13, 2014.

1. I have two 32 gallon trash cans of super soil that is sitting unused in my garage. I won't be using it until next spring, and am wondering if the below freezing temperatures will kill the microbial life over the winter. Part of me thinks they survive in nature where it gets that cold and they should be fine, but the other half says that it would be better and to haul those suckers into the basement, which stays above 60.

Thoughts?

2. #2 ChefZiggy, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    If it were me I would drag them in and keep them warm and moist. The microbes will be happy and multiply where outside they would go dormant at best

Sent from Chefziggy's Kitchen

3. Agreed. Bring it inside if you can.

TJ

4. Whatever your back tells you to do. My garlic over winters outside and not problem with the microbes.

Does your garage get and stay below freezing? A 32 gal will freeze into a solid lump outside, I know. and can get nasty when it defrosts. Guess it's different if something is growing in it.

If it gets that cold in garage, I'd slide them into the basement. My garage doesn't get below freezing, so I keep the 32 gal there now.

Wet

5. Wetdog- is your garlic in a container?

TJ

Yes, 5 gallon buckets w drainage. I'll be planting this years before long. The old saw is, plant on Halloween, harvest on the 4th of July.

Mostly root growth in the winter, but it's weird to see those green sprouts/leaves sticking up out of the snow.

I like to use fresh made mix for the Alliums that over winter (Garlic, Shallots, onions, leeks, etc). Alliums and mycos really get along well together, and with a 8 month grow season the mix is full of it when I harvest. Rodale had an article where they used leeks to produce their own mycos. They would harvest the leeks, trim the roots for the myco's and then re plant the leeks and do it again. When I harvest the garlic, the trimmed/chopped up roots stay in the mix, or gets used elsewhere.

The mix is amazing after the garlic is grown in it. The only drawback is waiting till late June, early July till you can use it, but still.

Wet

7. Thank you everyone for your responses. A 32 gallon trash can full of soil is pretty damn heavy, and I was going to skip doing it twice if everyone said it was fine. It gets and stays below freezing for extended periods in the garage in my climate. Sounds like I need to man up and do what's best for garden.

8. FWIW, I would recommend drilling some holes in the bottom of the trash can to maintain proper air-water ratios. If it gets too wet and oxygen can't get in, then anaerobic microbes can take over the pile and you don't want that.

@wetdog that is very interesting man. I just brought my mint plants inside because I was nervous about the soil freezing. I knew that the plants were perennial, but I just wasn't sure how the 'crobes would handle it. I realize that some can form cysts and go dormant until conditions are right, but I figure that a lot probably die off. When temps come back up the few survivors will "wake up" and start multiplying, but I feel like a lot of the diversity is probably lost. Good to know that frozen soil might not be totally devoid of life, though. :smoke: :D

TJ

9. No sweat. Perennial plants pretty much have that whole 'freezing' thing figured out, eons ago I'm sure. What really tipped me off was the planting instructions for bare root saplings in the fall and saying that the roots would develop while the tree was dormant during the winter. Who knew? Being from extreme SoFl, I had no idea.

BIG +1 on the drainage holes in the bottom of the 32 gal cans. VOE

Wet