Living paycheck to paycheck

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by jrock93, Sep 2, 2010.

1. This is basically just me ranting/complaining. Feel free to ignore me, as I hate when people complain. But I find it really tough to provide for myself working for just above minimum wage (I make $8.50/hr) I still live with my parents so I dont have to pay rent, I only pay for food when I eat out. But just car insurance & gas uses up 80% of my check. I usually only get 12-16hrs/wk and my paycheck is right around $100 a week. only having $20 spending money/week is annoying, but I can deal. I just feel bad for the co-workers of mine that have to support their family and my employer gives us shit for hrs and once you work from $8-8.50 (after 6mos.) theres never a raise unless you get promoted to manager. Im basically in a dead end job with not enough money for weed, and it sucks. I've been smoking high mids, or in some cases low mids for quite a while. Even just a g of dank is the majority of my spending money each week.

I know a lot of people dont like talking about their financial situations which is why I put it in Pandora's Box.

2. I feel for you but what happened to your education? You didn't provide enough details for me to draw out a guide so I'm just taking stabs in the dark. Did you have to drop out of highschool in order to support your parents financialLy? (which is probably the only acceptable reason to drop out). This is of course assuming you are a teenage drop out. If you did finish highschool, I suggest you get a new job. Keep on keepin' on.

3. First off,sorry to hear.

Keep working to do what you wanna do and always be looking for a new opportunity. Talk to people and just get new connections to a new job avenue, possibly. Since you only work 12-16 hrs why don't you consider a 2nd job?

just some thoughts:wave:

4. I heards on the news that they said because of the economy more than 61% of the nation live paycheck to paycheck now.

5. Well, I respect that you're working, even though it's for little money and not enough hours. Perhaps look for another part time job, if you can't find something full time - if you have time to do so, I'd say go for it. The job market is terrible right now so having this job may not seem like much, but it's more than a lot of people have. Your job description and salary may not wow potential employers, but it is impressive that you've managed to maintain a job during these rough times.

Hang in there, better times will be forthcoming if you do. Good luck.

6. IF it makes you feel better, you make more than I do.

7. I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you should consider looking for a second job because of all the free time you have (12 to 16 hours is nothing). Or maybe you could try to get some financial help and go back to school and get an education! Seems like the thing to do in this economy. Stay in school for as long as possible.

8. This really doesnt belong in Pandoras. You are in the same situation as thousands of people are. Hell you still have it better than half the human population.

Right now, I have no job. I am training for one but right now, everything that I am is being supported by my parents. I unfortunatly have a pretty bad drug habit. Not the crackhead on the sidewalk begging for money problem, but its more than Id like it to be....like zero.

Anyway, dont think that you're pathetic for living the way you do. These days, living with your parents is the smartest thing to do. Most parents have a room open for their kid, and the only thing to pay for is food. The economy sucks. They are even laying off the most important people in society. I may seem arrogent for saying it but firefighters are suffering. They really are an important part of society. Cops are struggling as well but that is the fault of the system. The more laws you have, the more manpower you need to enforce.

So do you have any plans for the future? Want to go back to school, or switch to a higher paying job?

9. :eek: I second that emotion.....you make more than me as well, and I'm waaaaaaaaay beyond the age of living at my folks house.....i get more hrs than you, but hard work and i do pay rent, gas, utilities, blah blah blah....

been check 2 check in my world since 2002.....my nice payin job is now done in China

thank god for smoke:smoke:
    peace jrock93....keep the faith, look for more work or better work and never give up the fight....better days will come ahead bro !

10. bro, lots of people are in a tight spot right now. be happy you even have a job. the unemployment rate is insane. plus you still live at home so you aren't on your own yet.

try being in the situation of living paycheck to paycheck on your own. it really sucks.

I'm on my third business startup which i'm trying to make it big (7-figures is my goal) and the reason why i keep trying new businesses is because i dont ever want to be a slave to the grind for the rest of my life.

If i have to struggle now for several years, so i can live the good life later, so be it.

11. I really do make less than you. No joking.

But I do OK... I don't starve... I have clothes to wear... I have roof over my head... I even have spare to buy ganja! :smoke:

12. I guess it's what you make of it. Consider all you have to be greatful for (cheesey, I know) and how much worse it could be. Hopefully you'll get sick of things enough to bring about a change for the better.

For a while, I was living in a studio apartment by myself. After rent i'd have 100$ which seems okay but due to a raging habit I shall not elaborate on it was spent literally all within minutes of arriving in my bank at midnight. I eventually got so frustrated I changed things, Im not much better off money wise but things are better

13. I work full-time living paycheck to paycheck, making 9.50 an hour which is enough to give me all the things I need without much spending change. As the rope gets tighter and tighter you're giving yourself less and less slack to work with, IE don't wait too long to continue your education or you will end up regretting it, like I do! Trust me it's not the way to live

14. the life <3

fuck money.

15. lol, i was just checking my bank account online, then i saw this thread.

im definitely living pay check to pay check. it sucks knowing that my next pay check is already spent. but somehow i still get by, and somehow i still always find a way to get high.

be thankful you dont have rent to pay or any other bills. bills/rent is such a bitch.

16. Learn a trade, hone yo trade, sell yo trade. Easy as that man, you'll have more money than you know what to do with.

examples...woodworking, sheetrocking, roofing, metal work, masonry. So much shit for you to learn brother.

17. Soooooo sad that so many folk live this way:(.One missed check away from being homeless for alot of them.:(

18. Thanks for all the responses, I am a student, my job schedule is around my school schedule, so I can't be full time. I am very grateful for all I have and I feel for those in more dire situations. I really do, I often think about how grateful I am when I'm high, it really makes me appreciate every little thing in life, even if its just a stranger at the supermarket who picks something up for you. Times are very tough and I am fortunate to have a job.

Best of luck to all feeling the pinch.

19. Im in the SAME exact situation except im making only $7.45 an hour.

20. Damn you make more then me, I make 8 an hour and its back breaking work, granted I work around 100 hours in 2 weeks, but still I live paycheck to paycheck. I got paid 880 bucks on tuesday, I have I have 240 bucks now on thursday. and 140 of that is getting paid out tomorrow. I have 8 packs of cigs left in a carton, and 100 bucks spending money. And, I still have to go tomorrow, sat, sun, and all of next week and till weds of the week after till I get paid again bro...

Life is a bitch, thank god for that one small piece of heaven we call weed. If it was not for that I mighta flipped a shit and done some crazy shit along time ago.