Living off of the grid in the heart of nature.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by cannabis666, Mar 16, 2011.

1. This is beautiful, & I would love nothing more than to have my own place like this one day, maybe even make friends who live the same way and have my own life.

Thanks for sharing this.
    The sad part is, government is taking it away from him and auctioning it.
    well I didnt read all of it, but its something like that. How disappointing :/

2. I know it's really wrong what the government does. He is a veteran, he deserves his own place like this. And he built it with his own two hands.

But yeah the government seems to really ruin everything! :mad:

3. Tiny off grid homes kick ass, but there can be zoning issues. Many communities have a minimum square footage requirement for qualifying as a residence, and also code standards for electrical harnessing, plumbing and grey/black water storage and disposal.

Pros and Cons of Tiny Homes ...

That being said, I really *lovelovelove* some of the prefabs that are on the market right now. The itHouse has an option package for off grid solar.

What you really need to do before just randomly buying land that may be unsuitable for the project is to actually spend some time researching, go to the zoning office of the community that you want to move to and actually find out what you need to fit code properly so you don't have problems with your home and facilities. No matter what, even going off grid, you have to follow the laws or the man will hassle the fuck out of you. If you do it properly the first time, the man will leave you alone. If what it takes is buying the plans from tumbleweed and making sure that you follow the code exactly, isn't it worth not being hassled even if it isn't "exactly what your vision was"?

4. #5 bob barker, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    veterans have been known to go off the grid like this fella, he makes sense to me.

check out this documentary on netflix

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Off...4fd549da0c638b7_0_srl&trkid=222336#height2171

Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa
    This engrossing documentary examines the unusual and often conflicted lifestyle led by a ragtag collection of teenage runaways, veterans, dreamers and political radicals as they scratch out an existence in the remote New Mexican desert. The residents may share a vision for a new way of life, but filmmakers Randy and Jeremy Stulbert don't shy away from the collective's underside, such as the steps taken to stop a series of robberies on the mesa.

5. I hope to be off the grid one day. Out in the bush somewhere. yeah. :smoke:

Backcountry Campers

6. #8 Mr. Mojorising, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
    Yes thats a good doco some wild people on there. It is also on the net for free no need to pay netflicks.

Watch The Mesa free here
    Off the Grid: Life On The Mesa

7. I would love to live like that!
    Love love love!

8. #10 Per Waui, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
    thanks for sharing, cool to see and think about

Stan is such an amazing dude

9. He makes a very good point about homeless people. This is such a better approach than other suggestions... seemingly more qualified people have come up with.