Living in your Car/van/truck

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by hibodharma, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Sweet man, I am looking for a used cap, the bed is 6'6" long and 5'9" wide. Will you have a vent on top for airflow? This guy has limo tint so no one can see in

I walked the Camino de Santiago in France and Spain, I had to sell the van because I came back with 10 bucks in my bank account hah

• Like Like x 2
  2. I paid more for the paint job than the actual cap. I looked on Craigslist once everyday for a month and then eventually got lucky. Mine came with Yakima roof rails, towers, bars, tint, and the carpet liner inside. The dealer really rapes you if you get all those accessories from them. It's like $1500 for the cap, then you have tax, and another $600 in accessories. Used is the way to go.

Mine unfortunately does not have a roof vent. It has two sliding side windows, and one front window. I'm going to try and install a fan in the front window.

6'6" should be really comfortable provided you aren't super tall. Mine is 73" and I'm 5'10". I wish it was 3" longer though. With two full sized pillows, a sleeping pad, and a carpet bedliner, I have to sleep on a little bit of an angle. It's not bad but my next truck will have a slightly longer bed. I might get this thing called AirBedz for the back. It goes over the wheel wells. It got really questionable reviews though.....

I've watched that guy's videos. For my windows, I think I'm going to cut up reflectix and glue some Velcro on the back. That way I can remove them. I hate not being able to see out the back.

Today I installed my new cargo basket on the roof. My side awning should be here in a few days.

My exit plan is for Nov. 1st. Hopefully, I don't get held up. Going down to the outer banks first to do some beach driving/camping/fishing.

3. That looks like a decent topper. Looks like it has some headroom.

I heard they legalized bud in Canada, is it true? They legalized it here but you still can't buy anything from a shop. Been two years......

4. Just got home with the canopy it is huge inside, all the lights work. Fits snug was heavy as balls to lift on the bed..

Yes it is legal here we can grow 4 plants per house and carry 1 oz on person, even on national flights (not over borders)

They will sell it at liquor stores maybe shoppers drug mart too... I went to the first legal store the line was way down the block they sold 1000 orders in 1 hr

5. That's cool you can carry it on a flight.

I don't ever see bud being totally legalized in the U.S. We are too fragmented because our country was founded around states rights, etc. I don't see that as a bad thing though, all the states are unique and different. Keeps things interesting. As long as it's legal in my state, I'm happy.

You have any trips planned in the new truck? You going to install anymore upgrades?

I got my awning today. Also, ordered a new grill and offroad gear.

6. Sounds great, do you have pictures of your setup? I want to see how it functions and looks, awning is life saver in the summer, can lean one corner and collect rainwater for free showers (not drinkable)

I will post some of mine, just need to clean up the canopy first. I like this idea much better than truck camper. They weighed 1300 lbs loaded up and the truck can handle 1450 lbs...too close.

It's just a matter of time before it's legal everywhere...except a few diehard religious countries? Portugal decriminalized all drugs and the arrests and crime rates got so low they were refurbishing prisons into hotels, apartments and addiction centers.

7. I'll post up some pics a little later once I'm finished. Right now my setup is under construction. I still have to install some of the new gear and figure out how I want to organize everything else.

Last year when I was down in the keys, I met a guy who had a really nice truck camper. I toured it and instantly wanted one. After doing research though, I got turned off. They cost like 10k for a nice used one. They weigh a lot. Apparently, they are prone to leaking as they age and get mold.

I will say this, it had all the amenities of home. Shower, full sized bed, small galley, closet, water, electric, etc. It was cool too because it had electric jack stands. So when you got to a campsite, you could take it off in under 10 minutes with the flip of a switch. Then drive around without it. It was like a little home. Maybe down the road I will get one. For right now, I'm sticking to what I have.

I disagree. Only western liberal countries will go fully legal (NZ, western Europe, Australia, etc). The U.S is too big and diverse. Also, our Constitution is immutable. States will always rule the roost here.

To be honest, I don't care one way or the other. On one hand, it would make life easier. On the other, it's symbol of authoritarianism to tell a state it can't govern itself.

8. Yeah they leak over the bed and there are so many $200 or free truck campers for sale with rotted wood and mold. The ones with fibreglass noses are the best (no leak) & they weigh less. I am limited by my half ton truck...3/4 ton or 1 ton can handle those huge campers

I may still consider this one... it even has a toilet & blackwater tank. Would take that out and replace with a composting unit, so much easier no blackwater tank needed, no smells just sawdust. Not sure how much it weighs... good price tho
    Skipper Camper | Travel Trailers & Campers | Vernon | Kijiji

I drove around 10 hrs day through many small towns, tons of truck camper and vans for sale everywhere...but winter is coming. It gets too cold and snowy to camp here

9. LMAO... my first thought was, 'where's the grow room?' :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. My topper doesn't leak at all. Nice tight fit. I've slept in the back in heavy rain, not drips at all.

Yeah, I hear you man. I'm not into camping in really cold weather.

Here are a few pics of my truck. I'm going to do a flush mount on cargo basket though. I don't like the look of it up high on the bars.

I installed an aftermarket bedliner in the back to add insulation and make it flat. It wasn't cheap though.....

Attached Files:

11. Getting close. Got my basket fully installed last night. The extension piece is in there now. Also, put on longer bars so I could install the awning. Awning install was super quick and easy. Got a killer deal on it. Retailed for $300, paid $120 for it new.

Also, got my bed for the back. Tested it out and I'm happy. Little higher than expected but it feels solid so far.

All I need is an air compressor for the tires and to figure out how I'm going to store stuff in the basket.

Plan is the leave on the 8th or 9th.

Attached Files:

12. Damn, that looks good, such a stealthy set up. Probably gets way better gas mileage than bigger trucks. Good luck on your trip. After two years in the van, I am happy in a little cabin here on the coast. Gotta get a kayak though, and it turns out this truck has been a lemon. I have put almost as much as I paid for it into it...will sell or trade it for a CR-V, they have 4x4, awesome MPG can still sleep in the back

13. #95 Bluetuna, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Thanks man.

I'm on the road now. Down in VA currently. Found this amazing park at the base of the Chesapeake Bay.

The new upgrades are helping out big time. I used to feel claustrophobic sometimes when I had nowhere to put certain items. Cab of my truck is nice a open now. Same with the bed. My only concern is theft. I'm going to have to figure something out.

Most people that I've talked with claim that mid-sized trucks like mine get almost the same fuel economy. I haven't compared it myself though. Apparently it has to do with drag. Not sure how many MPGs I get seeing as Nissan is too cheap to put that technology in a 2015. I'd have to get an aftermarket computer which I might decide to get.

I rented a cabin in the mountains for a season back in 2009/2010. No heat, just woodstove. It was a lot of fun. I'd like to do it again one day. What I'd really like to do is buy a cheap cabin somewhere. Super basic. No electricity, no heat, etc.

That sucks about your truck man. What's wrong with it?

14. All you do is check how many miles you drove and how many gallons of gas your tank holds......its pretty simple math, no computer needed 480 miles divided by 18 gallons equals 26.66 MPG. Kudos to living free outta your truck

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. #97 Bluetuna, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    That makes sense in principle but in practice only works if I fill up all the way and then run it close to empty. Then it's just an average. Doesn't give me my city vs highway. You bring up a good point though. The next time I do a long day of driving, I will do the math.

Last night I truck camped. Got cold, low of 33 with significant wind. Some cold air was blowing through. Think I'm going to have to add some weather stripping in between my shell and bed.

Right now, I'm down in the outer banks. The wind is howling. Temps are cold. Shacking up in a hotel for one night. Just crushed a few beers in the hot tub. Supposed to get warmer as the week goes by. Hopefully there are some fish around. Will be in FL by Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Doesn't need to be empty, if you top off when refueling.
    Put in 6 gallons, odometer (rather the trip odom) reads 120 miles. That's 20 MPG, reset the trip odometer.

:smoke:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. My sister in law lives in her van when she in America. I couldn’t do it I need shelter and security but she does have a fat bank account.

18. Ive wanted to would have been better

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum