Living in your Car/van/truck

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by hibodharma, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Sounds good, if I head down there will let you know. Just need to straighten out working in the states and paperwork for crossing the border. I heard the camping spots book up there fast and sometimes months in advance

2. That's very true about the camping spots. However, if you camp in spots that are off the beaten path, you are good to go. Last year, I had zero reservations before I left. I just winged it. I found all my spots online. I even found spots in the keys without reservations. This year I got reservations in the keys just to be sure. The rest of the year, I'm going to be doing the same thing as last year.

Mexico would be good too though. I would love to go down there one year but it's a much longer drive for me. If you do go there, I'd be very interested in hearing about your trip.

3. So I got the email today. FL state parks are closed Nov. and Dec. Florida is a bust for this year........ Especially down in the keys. Sucks, I had the time of my life down there last year and have been thinking about going back ever since I left.......

It's weird, I had this feeling when I left that it was going to be the last time I ever spent there. Almost like saying goodbye to a friend. Same thing happened when I was in Australia. My brain told me to stay because I was so happy there but I had obligations and decided to leave. I need to start trusting my instincts more.

Anyone have any other thoughts of good places to go for winter? I might hop on a plane and go some place I've never been. Costa Rica? Vietnam? Canary Islands? Southwest U.S?

4. That's too bad man, and I know what you mean about trusting your gut. I lived in Hawaii and regretted leaving it for years. Big Island is an awesome place for the winter, as well as Mexico or South America. Mexico might be easiest as you can camp in your truck, campground fees are very minimal, and food and beer is delicious and cheap.

i'm trying to figure out what to do this winter. It would be nice to work the beet harvest in a few weeks then head south. Good luck

5. This sounds like something I would love to do for a year or so, or maybe for retirement. I couldn't care less about Internet or phone access, but what do you do for cash when you're constantly on the move?

6. I work on a fishing boat for the summer and fall. Next year, I plan to own a new boat and will likely make more money. I also have a tiny business that I run. I fix tuna reels for people. A guy who owns a shop mails me the equipment and I then mail them back fixed. I sell a lot of crap on Ebay. In the winter, I live pretty basic.

7. #47 hibodharma, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Great question. Monthly operating costs are low: Gas bill depends on how much I drive, propane is cheap, cell phone bill around $40, groceries, bag of ice and other things like entrance fees, etc. Filling a water jug is under $1, lasts a long time. I don't need campground hookups, solar power has really helped keeping everything charged.

Even a part time job could cover expenses. Being a young man, it's easy to enter a new town and find a job if I need. I see people with all the comforts of home in their van like blenders, wifi, even video games running off solar and batteries. It's up to you and what you think you need to feel comfortable.

I usually save up for a few months and then travel. I sold off my other truck, things I wouldn't need on the road. There are always opportunities, sometimes to park on someone's land in exchange for work, food or a little cash. It's perfect for me as I play music and gigs are always in different towns.

I will work at the sugar beet harvest next week and it pays well... Seasonal jobs are everywhere and you can easily save up a few grand when there's no rent to pay. One could be a campground host, live in their vehicle and get free camp sites and or pay.
    Drive to what climate suits you, hunt for free parking, it is pretty fun.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I worked in town and lived out of my bus for a summer in Colorado then spent another summer travelling around living out of it. I also had a permanent camp set up in a wild area that was walking distance from a parking lot so I could chill out away from people. It was awesome when I was young and during nice weather (houses are great in the winter). 24316_1403101998573_8097145_n.jpg

9. I lived out of my vehicle for awhile when I was in school. Though I didn't set out to do so, just ended up broke and needed a place to sleep. It wasn't exactly the greatest experience of my life, though it beat living out of vehicles with four other people like we'd done when I was a kid. Plus I was so busy with work and school that I usually managed to pass out pretty quickly, which made sleeping in the cab of a small pickup a lot easier.

I have mixed feelings whether it'd be fun to live out of an RV. Part of me would love the shit out of it, part of me might eventually get too stressed out, tired, and ache to have a stationary structure to call my home.

10. So I'm still going down to FL. I leave in four days. Can't go to the keys right away but we'll see what happens later in the season. Hibodharma, are you still going to Mexico?

11. Hey , are the campgrounds open in FL?
    You know I'm still trying to figure out what to do for December. The van runs fine aired it out today, not sure where to take it. I hear good things about the climate around Flagstaff Arizona, probably full of RVs and snowbirds tho. How long will you be in FL? I'm on the west coast at the moment so probably go down through wash, oregon, etc

12. Many are open but some of the best ones are closed for at least a year due to Irma. At least that's what they told me.

I will be down there until at least the first week in Feb. Might stay a lot longer though. Latest I would be there is the first week of May. Playing it by ear.

I plan to leave the 22nd of Nov but I'm waiting on a new laptop to come in the mail. Once I get it, I'm gone. I have an empty house to stay at in Long Island NY for as long as I want. Plan is to stay there for a few days. Probably do some bridge fishing for blackfish for a day or two. Also, will probably take the train into NYC. Then I'm headed down to Maryland and will be camping out at a national seashore. Probably do some kayaking if the weather is nice enough. Then down to NC. Going to stay at the same spot I did last time in the national forest. It was free and close to the coast and services. If I can, I'm going to try to get a oversand permit for my truck to do some surf fishing on the outer banks. Cape Lookout. Then back down to Charleston, SC. I know of another free campground in the nearby national forest. It's about 45 minutes into town but is close to a bunch of good kayaking along the coast. I don't mind the commute because I'm not paying anything to stay there. Plus SC has ridiculously cheap gas. Weather should be warm down there. Charleston is one of my favorite places. After that I might stop at this island on the border of GA/FL. I've been wanting to go there for years but something always comes up. Should be down on the Treasure Coast the first week of Dec.

I think the climate in Arizona should be nice but it might be filled with baby boomers living off of social security....... Not that FL is any different. I do my own thing so I don't really care about demographics provided they don't interfere with what I'm trying to do.

13. I lived in my car for a while when I was a kid before I joined the military. Wasn't too bad. I used to camp out in the woods behind a bunch of storage building companies. I had a job at the time so I would come into work 2 hours before everyone else to get ready in the sink lol.. It was only for a few months but it wasnt that bad. I'm used to sleeping in the dirt and stuff so meh. Better than some hotels I've been in.

14. 76, sunny, and zero wind today. 20171214_173351.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lookin good man, campgrounds open?

Gotta fix my brakes and solar system before heading out. My money tied up in bitcoin at the moment

16. Yes, most are open. The campgrounds that are closed are all way down south; specifically the keys, perhaps parts of the glades. I'm seeing very little damage where I am. A destroyed boat here or there. The beaches actually look 10 times better because the storm pulled all the seaweed out. Never seen them so clean. I talked to a friend down in south FL and he said there is no damage where he is either.

Something worth mentioning, if you are planning on coming down here, you should do some planning now. It's December now so it's going to be competitive to stay at the super popular spots. They literally start to book up the day they become available...... The worst thing about FL is that almost every retired person with an RV comes down here from Nov-the end of April......

You shouldn't let that discourage you though, there are definitely places. Last year I made it work on a whim. Anywhere not directly on the coast would be where I would start. Check out ReserveAmerica. They do most of the state and federally run campgrounds. There are country parks that have camping too. As well as national forest.

The good news is that the weather has been ridiculously nice. It was 81 today, 70 something right now. There was a "cold spell" about a week ago. 65 during the day, low 40s at night. Generally, it's been in the 70s/80s during the day, 60s at night. The weather predictions for this winter are supposed to be above average due to La Nina. Last year was La Nina too and it was like this most of the time. So far there hasn't been any wind.

Lots of fish around too. Loads of sheepshead around the bridges. Caught some spotted trout. Saw a bunch of monster tarpon doing aerials earlier today. They were well over 100lbs. I might try and kayak fish tomorrow to see if I can find them.

17. it just dropped 15%

18. No problem, up 25000% this year

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'd like a nice toy hauler, like a 32-38 footer. I could probably handle that, gotta have room for the dirtbike, streetbike, and the stand up ski. On top of that I need certain things at home like a washer/dryer, shower/bathroom, running water period.

Wouldn't you rather be in like a bumper pull camper? Seems like it would be better to root down a year or two and buy something more like first world living. I mean think of how much of your life you would save just doing your activities of daily living at home base when you don't have to drive everywhere for basic things like showers, ice for your cooler, or things like laundry?

I mean when you calculate this all out you have to include time spent as well as money paid and to me my time is very valuable so spending 30 minutes (back and forth) on the road to do laundry on top of paying the machines is very inefficient. Also I have to ask, do you have any long term plans? 401k, savings, what about health insurance? I couldn't live wild and free truly without having shit like that covered

Honestly didn't mean to go that in depth lol,

20. I'm happy with my 19 foot van, can park anywhere and be used as a daily driver. It's got most of the comforts of home and will have a shower setup soon. RVs are too expensive, impractical, terrible gas mileage, high maintenance costs etc. Less is more, less stress, less stuff, it's cozier. To each his own