Living in Vancouver/British Columbia

Discussion in 'General' started by viewfair, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hello Vancouvies.. or whatever you people are called :p. I'm from Ontario, right beside Toronto. 19 years old, took a year off school and wish to go to Vancouver Film School. I just came up with this not too long ago.. so now I would have to save up money for a year and then go, so another year off school. Anyways, my question is how is Vancouver, or British Columbia in general? It seems like a weed paradise, and has a really nice vibe. I know it's hella expensive to live there, but is it very possible to live well? I would be going to school there for a year, and may possibly live there if I found work. I heard that the VFS is the best school when it comes to animation, video game development or film directing in Canada.

2. All i can say is...... You will LOVE BC

Not only is it the most beautiful place on the planet but it has the best bud!

3. LOL, are you guys both from BC?

4. Fuckin a rights I am :blaze all day:

5. I share your dream of living there, even though I'm on the other side of the world, not in the same country like you. Mild climate, consistent drizzle, chill people, good weed and liberal laws regarding it, natural beauty and an almost majority secular population? Count me the fuck in.

6. SwedManEveryday, is it easy for a student to get a part time job? Cause I'll need one within a month or two of being there. Also what is minimum wage.. cause I hear it's like a 1,000 a month for rent, so I'm assuming you get paid more? It's anywhere from 500-1000 for 2-4 bedroom down here. But we make 10.25/hr

7. Minimum wage right now is 8.25 it's raising to 10 now if your a construction person I do believe that you start at 15 and rent depends on where you plan on living

8. ... 8.25, it's 10.25 here.. and i can get 3 bedroom place for 500 bucks, nothing bad about the area either. What are the prices like there and for what? I would be in Vancouver, so doesn't really matter since I heard the transportation is fast, skyline?

9. Sky-train, and I think it's like $600 out in mission where I live but I'm still in high school living at home so I'm not sure

10. hey dude, i recently moved to BC all the way from Australia....i can tell you it IS BEAUTIFUL here....and yes good green acreage ;) rent here is SOOOOO expensive....i was staying in a one bedroom one den [living in the den] and it was $475 a month!!!! [that was in Abbotsford, still a way aways from the city] in Vancouver it's SUPER SUPER expensive......i'd suggest living some where a little more affordable out of the city, but close enough so you can bus/train/sky train....into the city! Look on craigslist for apartments in Vancouver...but make sure you're sitting down first.....no way could you get a 3 bedroom place anywhere remotely close to the city for $500 a month........sorry to burst your bubble...but i still say if you got the money, GO FOR IT!! you won't regret it....hope this helped, all the best =)

11. So if I went to Vancouver Film School or Vanarts, could I get a part time job, and live on my own and be fine? I'll probably end up going with my buddy or a few buddies, but if I have to go alone. And man, that's sick maybe we can hit a sesh together :hello:

12. I dunno. VFS = FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

13. It would most definitely help to have your buddies come with you= cheaper rent, utilities and food =) You can make it work, just expect it to be hard...but everything in life worth having is hard to get ;) yah man, for shizznittlesssss =D