Living in a self worshipping society

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Brianyo, Oct 20, 2011.

1. My point is why are you so selfish you look outside when the universe is within why are we still slaves when this planet should be in heaven form but hell in this lifetime. Discussed any ideas ?

2. slippery sausage

3. I'm not sure if i understand exactly what you mean but i think i agree.

Everyone was born free and given the gift of life, not to be spend slaving for the system...

4. I'm confused you tell people they're selfish, then criticize them for looking outward instead of inward. Can't have both!

5. People don't take into consideration that the ego (few are even aware of what exactly an ego is) is a simultaneously a social and psychological construct. Meaning it's something with as much substance as an pie without a filling, yet we let it rule us like wind.

I agree with you. I know all this and more and yet it's so fucking difficult to LIVE in this society without regard for your ego. Or at least that's the way it is in my family. judgemental jerks haha.

6. You're taking his words the wrong way.

To look inside yourself and see what is actually there instead of looking out for yourself in terms of where you are on the social strata, ya dig?

We are not a soul that peers out from within. We are the within, no only that but we are what would be considered "outside" or not "our self".

I am a way for the universe to get to know itself. You are two. Everything=one. Mass is energy, light and dark are two ends of the same poke my man.

7. [quote name='"simmer"']

You're taking his words the wrong way.

To look inside yourself and see what is actually there instead of looking out for yourself in terms of where you are on the social strata, ya dig?

We are not a soul that peers out from within. We are the within, no only that but we are what would be considered "outside" or not "our self".

I am a way for the universe to get to know itself. You are two. Everything=one. Mass is energy, light and dark are two ends of the same poke my man.[/quote]

So we are the inside.. But we're outside. And the universe is getting to know me. Mass is energy? Saying a bunch of confusing and conflicting things doesn't make a point or help get your ideas across.

What if I look inside myself and what I see is a rational person who wants to live a comfortable life and be happy? For me, that comes through working and going to college and marrying someone I love. You may see it as me caring about my place on the "social strata" but that's just me understanding my self and what I want in life. Nothing selfish about it!

8. I hope that all those hours in Political Science class weren't in vain. Here we go:

Humans are natural animals that are born into a natural state. We are born into this natural state. In this state we are free, we have no rules, no economy, no society, nothing. We just have other humans by our sides who will try to kill us. This natural state is horrible, scary and deadly. Thomas Hobbes said that in this natural state no political state exists and humans are just humans. They will act on self interest and whatever they do are driven by two things: survival and self interest. The natural state in which humans were first born, is like a game of survival of the fittest.

This is where the twist begins. Hobbes said that this natural state is so awful and deadly that humans will give up some of their individual liberties and group together in societies and create political states (countries). With a society, humans can defend themselves better and stop the massacres between them but the pay off is that some of their individual liberties are given to this political state.

Now you choose, would you rather live in the woods like a neanderthal struggling to survive EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE or would you rather give up some individual liberties (like your right to smoke weed) so you can group with other humans of your like and form a society, in which you are safer and better off?

I would choose to give up some liberties in exchange of a society where I can develop into the person I want to be.

9. Damn bro your classes failed thats not the point of the convo unless I'm also wrong. This is more about the fucked up ideals in society when we could be happy if we weren't encultured to be miserable..

10. [quote name='"thesavagepony"']Damn bro your classes failed thats not the point of the convo unless I'm also wrong. This is more about the fucked up ideals in society when we could be happy if we weren't encultured to be miserable..[/quote]

Happiness is all in the self. If you want to be happy, make an effort to be happy and be pleasant. Society isn't to blame, happiness is in the individual.

11. Actually, you are wrong. I was actually answering two statements written by two different persons.

Brianyo said "...why are we still slaves when this planet should be in heaven form but hell in this lifetime..." and DntWorryBeHappy said "Everyone was born free and given the gift of life, not to be spend slaving for the system...".

First we see that both of their statements are relevant to each other. They relate to each other when both users argue that we are born free but then become slaves for the establishment. They also talk about the value of life in one way or another.

After seeing this, I answered those statements explaining to them what Hobbes would've said: that we ARE born free but then become "slaves" to the state in which we live by giving up some of our individual rights and liberties, this allow us to form a society (social contract) and not live on the natural state in which we are born, that natural state is horrible, miserable and deadly.

That is relevant to the OP's and DntWorrybeHappy's statement.

Cheers dude.

12. Yea op, we are the universe. Yet we slave over stupid shit instead of spending our lifes exploring our mind and body. Makes me sad.

13. ahahahaha there hippies man that shits tooo far out

14. are you calling me selfish?

seriously though, what the fuck are you trying to say

15. I think OP needs to meet my old friend "punctuation."

16. Lol. Anyways, idealism isn't that bad. I for once, would like to live in a resource based economy instead of the market economy we have now.

Anyone agree?

17. This:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDMzvJOu9vQ]Spirit Science 1 - Thoughts - YouTube[/ame]

And yeah Id highly recommend you watch all of them. Incredible vids.