Living for the moment or the future?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mi green, Jun 11, 2012.

1. #1 mi green, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
    Hey, guys I dont know what to expect about everything anymore, ive failed my cours, im working in a crappy ass job and I was wondering if I should live for the moment (presently (not having a determined goal) or (in the future, worrying about everything, money, house, bills, quitting weed)

it might be a dumb question but it upsets me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=otvEKNV_bdk#!]

do you believe in this song ?

2. #2 illrolling, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
    me too. i really and always just want to stop and live for the moment like your saying but what i think is really the real thing you want to do is find something you love, and do that instead of just giving yourself the two tough options. with that you kind of work on both the right now and the future and it makes things easier, as long as you don't dig yourself in a hole things will kind of work out. ex of holes lol getting in trouble for weed and losing a bunch of things as well as time

plus there is a good chance that with some work and no trouble you will be successful enough to really appreciate the little bit of work that that would take. especially if your doing something you love you will be self motivated all the time and make things for urself easy and become successful

3. Hey man, don't worry about the past, or the future. The only thing that is really happening right now is the present.

I know it's hard not to worry but when you really think about it, what is there to complain about at this very moment, more often then not there is nothing. Just relax, take a couple of tokes and affirm yourself that all will be well.

Peace

4. Well, the future isn't even a real thing at all, it's just your brain thinking forward. The present moment is the "real" experience. It's important to think about the future but not to let it over power your experience of the now.

5. Try to balance the two. In-the-moment thinking helps you enjoy life more, but if it's your only mode of thinking then you won't think about the long term consequences of your actions which can lead to problems. By the same token, living in the future saps your ability to enjoy the small, tangible things in life.

I've been trying to balance the two for the past year or so with very mixed results. My life and mind are still a horrible fucking mess but the fact that I acknowledge that is a step forward.

6. living for anything but the moment equals pain

but I still have to learn

7. All I do is smoke weed...SHIYUT.

But on a serious note, a lot of this depends on your age.

When you're fresh out of high school you should focus a little more on the present. Only gonna be young once! Just don't lose sight of the future.

When you're getting to your mid 20s, start to worry about careers and family. It isn't quite there yet, but keep it in mind and have a goal, purpose, or plan. Still, have fun and make sure to enjoy yourself.

When you're hitting 30s it's time to seriously think about family. You will likely have work figured out, so family is the big thing here I think.

Then you have retirement and kids to worry about, so fuck it you gotta be ready and work for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to live in the present, always be aware of the future, and focus on directing the present to that future. Fun, of course, is timeless. A life without pleasure is hardly a life worth living!

8. Bro YOLO. Amirite?

9. read my signature please