living at home

Discussion in 'General' started by DannyDub420, Jul 31, 2010.

1. How many of you have moved out?
    I am curious to know how many of you have your own places, and what you are doing/did with your life.

I really want to move out and get my own place, but I dont know what I want to do with my life or how to make money. I got a job yesterday, working every saturday and sunday night, but it is only making about $400-$500 a month.

2. Once you get of age you'll start making more money.

3. Internet Entrepreneur.

Nice Condo in the NYC. 22 years old. Start a company.

4. Im afraid I am of age. Im 22.

What kind of company do you own, if you dont mind me asking.

Living in San Diego is so pricey, but I love it here.

5. Lived with parents until I graduated University this may at 22. Got a job, moved out and am now sharing an apartment with a room mate, we're each paying $800/month.

Living on your own has its ups and downs but I've found it to be a very positive experience. The hardest part is dealing with exhaustion from having to work so hard to pay rent and have money for other expenses. The best part is not having to put up with any shit when home.

My advice is just work on what's best for your future, eventually the money will come. When it does, create a budget and stick to it. I easily am spending now over $1,500 a month just to survive, fortunately I manage my finances pretty well so I also make sure there's something left at the end of the month. Just make sure you know where your cash is going.

6. I'm Co Owner of an advertising company. Hooked up with this guy from Singapore and rolled the dice.

Hopefully it launches by 2015.

7. I have thought about going back to school, but I just dont think its for me. I have friends and family members in massive debt over it, and getting jobs that have nothing to do with their degrees.

Some good advice MrKoffee.

That sounds pretty cool Buds4U. Much luck.

I would love to hear many more stories/advice/input from everyone.

8. Yeah avoid school debt. I came out with a little and will be able to pay it off in a few years. I have friends that graduated with over $100,000 in debt, for just an undergraduate degree. That will take the better part of your adult life to pay off.

Also, what kind of job is this? Is there any upward mobility? If so work your way up, you can easily see your compensation double or triple in the right company in just a few years. If not, consider your alternatives.

If you're not planning on going to school and this job is dead-end then I suggest working your ass off at this company while applying for other jobs. That way you'll have experience and management will vouch for you.

I worked an internship I hated last summer, but it was paid and I stuck it out for nearly 8 months just so I could get a letter of recommendation. That letter alone was crucial in my hiring where I am now.

Just stick it out.

9. My parents moved away for my dads job when I was 18, I had about a month to either get a job and move out or go with them.

I got a full-time minimum-wage job at a mortgage company, and a 1 bedroom apartment. My parents helped me out on rent and car insurance for 2 months while I got on my feet.

Not too long after that, my future-husband moved in with me. I ended up quitting my mortgage company job because they were a bunch of dicks that didn't pay me nearly enough for all the shit they had me doing and kept refusing to give me the raise they'd promised me months before.
    Worked with my husband at his job for a while, got laid off from there and I've been looking for work since.
    Not looking terribly hard, exactly. I mean, I'm looking hard but we're not really in a bad enough position that I need to start applying at the local fast food joints or anything.
    Plus, I'm still undecided on whether I want to go back to school or not...

Anyway, that's my story. :p

10. I'm 21 myself, at 18 I moved into an apartment with my friend. At 20 I moved into a house with my homie, and another dude. Still renting the house today. I'm a musician, don't have serious cash flow. But just a regular job pay with a room mate will get you moved out man.

11. MrKoffee, its a valet job. Sounds great. I wont go too far in to it, but there is no room for advancement. 2 days a week. It is just something to have on my resume.

Buds4U, I favorited that link and will read it shortly. Thank you.

Junkiedays, that is an interesting story. Sounds like you were put in a tough position but worked out. In san diego, minimum wage gets you a studio in the ghetto. Im kinda in the same boat, undecided if I should work, go to school, or both.

Yourcat, i am also a musician, but with no band. I know I could move out if i HAD to, but I want to be able to move out semi comfortably. Once I leave this place, unfortunately I can NEVER come back. I know alot of people that moved out for a year or so, then moved back home when they couldnt afford it. Thats not the case for me, not saying it is for you either, I just need to be 100% sure before I make any leaps. Do you have a band or anything?

12. i rent a house for 350 dollars a moneth. before that i lived in a partment complex and before that a trailer. i havent worked since like 07 tho lol. i got a car and a truck and i can borrow my neighbors mini scooter whenever i wont to.

13. #14 LegitBaller, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
    22, got my own place downtown chi, payed for by years of hustling. Now i got a legit job as well. Which is only mon-thurs for $15 an hour...So currently im chillin with plenty of money to spend on whatever i want.
    My parents also chip in and make my place go from nice to elegant and classy. They have the money and dont mind handing over whatever I need basically. If I need a couple g's for new furniture all i have to do is ask. I dont need to do anything to be honest, but I dont sit back and be a bum, mooching off them like most people in my situation would.

14. Moved out at 17 a few days before my 18th, because my mom was abusive and I didn't want to turn her in.

Full time job while in school (same time I started smoking weed, so PFFFFT) and had a two bedroom apartment about 15 minutes from home. Once high school let out I signed up for a community college and planned to transfer to a 4 year university. As soon as I emptied my savings account to pay for what financial aid wouldn't cover, I got laid off because they were over staffed.

My brother (two years younger than me) moved in and worked part time at a fast food joint and had some money saved up, so he carried me for a while but only lasted a month and a half. Moved in with my girlfriend and her parents and my brother went back home.

Doubled up in my college classes and finished a year and a half early, got a job, moved out to a house (own it in 13 more years :hello:) and my brother moved in with me.

Girlfriend (now my ex) moved to Boston, and I'm considering moving with her. Still haven't made that decision up. The biggest thing is she 100% absolutely doesn't want kids and I do, so maybe it's just time to call it quits. Who knows.

15. moved out at 18
    Going to ASU

16. #17 rePPinTRACK, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
    I want to move out, but I need to get my finances stabilized before I decide to move out of my parents house. I probably won't move out until I finish college.

17. I don't have a job and a couple grand in fines to pay, so I live at home. I moved out for a very short while in May but my roommate ended up being an incredibly stupid drunk who broke things and got suicidal when he drank everclear. Kind of had to move out of my mom's house in February for certain reasons but I stayed with her friend's family, so I don't think that counts.

18. I'm in college now so I technically live at home, but really only during the summer. I've got an apartment when I'm at school. I definitely don't want to be living at home any longer than I have to. As soon as I graduate and find a steady job I'm out, hopefully that won't take too long.

19. Good shit guys. I literally have no support from my family, except a place to stay. Not that its a bad thing, I am grateful for anything I have. I just couldn't borrow money if I were in an emergency, or ask for help on pretty much anything. I would consider myself a very independent person, and don't like asking for help anyways. The main thing for me right now, is the fact I am not in debt.

Maybe I will give college another chance. I just have no idea what direction I'd like to pursue. Im hitting up the dispensary tonight, first time smoking in over 2 months. I think I deserve it after getting a job, even though its 2 days a week.

Anymore input? My ears are wide open.