Live Music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Kardredor, Jun 1, 2010.

1. I don't know about anyone else, but I myself am an avid listener of live music. I listen to a lot of jam bands so live is where its at.

Share some of your favorite shows or 'gems' of bands you listen to!

Umphrey's McGee - 12/30/04 - Riviera Theatre
    Buckethead - 3/10/06 - Langerado - Best Whitewash and Crash Victim.
    Grateful Dead - 12/30/90 - Oakland Coliseum - Best Birdsong/Eyes I've heard.
    Phish - 11/22/09 - War Memorial - Syracuse Jam is amazing.
    moe. - 10/31/09 - The Armory - Best Rebubula.
    moe. - 7/23/09 - Grand Opera House - Best Water and Bearsong I've heard.

2. I always watch videos of my bands live, but only one band I listen to released a CD full of live tracks:

[​IMG]

3. what's the audio quality like, specifically buckethead @ langerado

4. #4 Kardredor, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
    Wow, lol, I'm excited someone asked about Buckethead, he's the last one on that list I expected anyone to bring up. But yea Langerado is amazing, album quality. Buckethead Live at Langerado -- Markham Park on 2006-03-10 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Highlights: The jam on Revenge of the Double-Man, GREAT Soothsayer, and For Mom through Crash Victim is amazing. I'm not the biggest fan of Crash Victim as a song but the improv is fucking nuts, you won't be disappointed. Pure Imagination and Crash are my favorite parts of the show.

I also thought Turbin > Hog Bitch was really cool, I don't think he's ever done that before. Good live buckethead is rare because he doesn't ever change up his setlists :|

5. Haven't ever listened to them before but I've heard a lot about them, there's a band called Soul Risin' that plays a lot at a local venue and they sound similar to these guys. They remind me a lot of Perpetual Groove so far. The end of One In Seven is pretty rippin', around like 13 minutes or so before they have the drum break. Thanks for sharing, these guys will be a new addition to my repertoire!

6. wow, must have been incredible. Its just an absolute perfect show - Jerry must have had some good doses that night haha.

plus most recordings of the show are of great quality

7. Classic show, should be in everybody's library.

8. I think the most live music I listen to is Zeppelin. My collection albiet small only around 200 or so shows has some of the best music I ever had the privelige to hear. A few recommendations of epic live shows:

1. The Unstoppable Metal Machine- May 25, 1975. That show goes on for over 3 hours and is also on bootleg dvd
    2. The Robert Plant Experience- August 7, 1971
    3. Smiling Arizona- June 28, 1972
    4. Blueberry Hilll- Septemeber 2, 1970

9. Bump, post some of your favorite live shows!

10. #15 Mrd00d, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
    Wow a) thanks for the buckethead link, I didnt think I'd be able to dload it, b) thanks for that website, looks cool, c) i have all of buck's material. lovin his latest slaughterhouse album, can't wait to listen to this. Hog bitch stomp is great =D

P.S. My favorite live set(s) are Les Claypool's Frog Brigade's Live Frogs CD. Didnt get to see it live, but the recording goes down in history. Pretty much best imo.

1. Thela Hun Ginjeet - great King Crimson cover
    2. Riddles Are Abound Tonight
    3. Hendershot - "the beauty that is ... surf saxophone... Skerik!"
    4. Shattering Song
    5. Running the Gauntlet - wonderful solos from the whole crew, great track
    6. Girls for Single Men
    7. Shine on You Crazy Diamond [Jack Irons ver.] - fantastic

-after the break/disc 2-
    "More Pink Floyd than any human being can possibly withstand"
    Complete Pink Floyd Animals cover

1. Pigs on the Wing 1
    2. Dogs
    3. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
    4. Sheep
    5. Pigs on the Wing 2

/orgasm

11. That second set to that Frog Brigade is so fucking awesome!!! Even Roger Waters would have digged it....

...and then sued.

12. yeah, went through serious moe phase in early 2000's, phish around 92-95, GD before that...always love the live music..my long time band is soundtribe sector nine, but would love to see lettuce, mastersounds, etc...

You can have all the live music you ever want, besides the archive, theres bt.org...

heres a link for buckethead shows, but there's a shitload of shows of all jambands..esp GD and phish....just have to convert them from flac, which is easy

bt.etree.org | Community Tracker

home page
    bt.etree.org | Community Tracker

Looks like they have the moe shows up from summercamp...thats switch out with zappa was unreal...watched it on Iclips, people in the chat were wiggin out, but they werent zappa listeners, too bad, Muffin Man ftw!

13. Holy shit, that website is nuts, thanks!

14. dang! agreed

15. Indeed it is, definitely my go-to place when I want to get a show. These people are pretty purist about their tape quality, so you always get good recordings. I have been on there since early 2000's, when I downloaded so much music, I has discs laying all over the house. I eventually slowed down, but its definitely like being a kid in a candy store at first. They keep your upload/download rates but they dont make it a required ratio, like co.tapers.org, another good one btw