Little White Bugs In Soil

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by XxJenxX, Mar 17, 2010.

1. No problem. Just glad you got it figured out :)

2. i have them in my soil as well n theey are not proving to be a problem either . i was real concerned when i saw the similarities of mites but again they are nowhere on the suface of the plants. i am also switching to hydro n coco fibr. to help alieviate the problem . i recomend coco to anyone growing in soil if not do what you please .

3. Since they feed on springtail and fungus gnat larvae they may not be too bad to let hang around. I probably wouldn't woryy about it unles it got to the point to where there are so many that they are uncontrolable.

4. jig & skunky- I must say now, it is truly an honor to have them. Like I had said earlier, my area is unable to have them shipped unless you are licensed to do so. To have these is a commodity in a sense around here. I'm relieved as well to know that I can put her back with the other plants. I might have to introduce a few to the flower room to help with control in there for any possible outbreaks. Oh the joy.

5. ahhh actualy i just saw the pics n mine look more like the mites. mine do not have an antena type just little aphid looking. but do not bother the surface . i have dried out my soil n all but they are nevr more than 2 i see at a watering. usualy just one . i cant wait to get my bubble buckets going.

6. Do they seem to be causing any harm? Maybe post some pics to see a contrast between our bugs. I would be curious to see.

7. truthfully they dont show themselves very often at all. i have only seen them 3 times in 2 months . they look much like spider mites but maybe a tad bigger it seems. i have never saw a spider mite in person thank god. a good pesticide would be a good idea i think but dont know what to use n dont want to hurt my plants so i let them be.

8. I feel you on the fact that seeing these creatures for the first time is good and bad. Good to know for future reference and the bad would be not knowing what the hell is that? All the research I had done involving spider mites was that they are on the plant and the eggs are on the underside of the leaves along with a few live ones. It sounds to me that the characteristics of your bugs don't match up with spider mites, but if your saying the pics are similar, then it has to be then I suppose. My bugs, I get to see every time I'm in there with her. If I stare long enough I will see a few crawling but its when I move the top soil that they move in more numbers. Good luck with how you go about it.

9. I went to the hydro store today and the guy there highly recommended this Azatrol® Product Page

He said it was excellent and that it is what they use for their plants ( not mj) at the store. Although he said he personally uses it. He said it was excellent for bug control except for maybe gnat larvae. He said it would work for it but you would need to use more of it. It's very expensive so they sell it in small bottles that are affordable for people to buy. I was going to get SM-90L which is also very good but he said he thought Azatrol was better. The SM-90L is much cheaper. Maybe something you might want to look into. The Azatrol is organic. Don't know about the SM-90L. It was recommended by someone here on the forum,

10. man thnx alot . this is a great help . i have tried to post a thread for help in the very same way n got nothing . your pics n research was a+. thanx again . i might just let them stay for this grow then switch to bubble buckets n coco. :D

11. Look's like Springtails to me, I've had them a while in Coco, WOuldn't worry to much about it. Between grows steralise everything and u shud be fine, Springtails r pretty much harmless.

12. No, springtails are skinnier/longer and they jump around. These are definitely predatory mites.

13. These little buggers gota be feeding on something in the soil to survive and multiply. Either they are feeding on organic matter, dead matter, or a larve of some kind, like fungi gnats. If they are feeding on organic matter your losing essential bacteria in the soil.
    Personally I don't like any insects in my garden I don"t know about and would like to see them hit the road.
    A remidy that works for gnat larve and probably your situation is to mix 1/2 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the gallon of water and water. They say you will lose organic bacteria with the H202, but can probably induce the matter back into the soil with a compost tea of sort.
    The Hydrogen Peroxide(H202)is really good for getting oxygen to the roots and will kill larve. I did this as a precaution when I seen fungi gnats and it really perked the plants up. I then went from Fox Farms nutes to a hemical base. Actually The Big Grow is not organic, but the bloom is. I now use Ecogrow and Ecobloom chemical base ferts and condition the soil with Fossil Fuel.
    The key here is if your plants are lokking health you probably won't have to worry about treating

14. Hypoaspis Miles, or a cousin.

These actually eat fungus gnat larvae, otherwise feeding on dead plant matter or algae.

AKA good bugs.

These cost about $25/5k bugs, and shipping is anywhere from $10-40 because they must be rushed.

h2o2 will kill other organisms in your soil as well, some of them are also beneficial such as mycochorizae.

15. The pics look very similar to what im having. The bugs only seem to be in the dirt and not causing any harm to the actual plant. They also seem to jump around. I also noticed a slightly little larger black and yellow flying insects that seem to open there wings and shake at times, (maybe the adults?)
    I origninally noticed these insects after i put corn dog sicks next to the plant to assist with support. There was a long, almost clear stringy substance right next to the stick. When i touched it, I noticed all the small white insects running around. Now they are all over the intire pot.

What would be the best pesticide that would not hurt the health or quality of the Cannibus?

16. Whew! I was worried...I had little white bugs and thought they were spider mites. But they dont touch the seedlings at all and JUMP around. Guess their springtails.

So Hydrogen Peroxide should kill gnats/gnat larvae?

17. the bugs in you soil r spring tails 100% iam growing now for 10 years and ive got them in my soil and my nft sytems i used gnat off i got it from my local hydro store i also so got oxy plus and mix it they dont do much harm thats whats i heard but bugs are not good for any plant

18. not sure if your still looking for a answer, i do not know there name, nor do i have a picture, but i also have the ones you have/had. they are composting bugs and eat inorgainic matter. not living matter. not plants/roots or other bugs/ mostly in the top layer of soil, active day and night, responds well to heat, like moist conditions, will reproduce and always balacne with the food avalible. will spread to find food. If anything tho they help the plant and should be encouraged. harmless to humans also.

19. I believe what is being discussed here is what I also have. The best way I can describe what I see is as follows: I see this only when I water my plants! As the water is absorbed by the soil I see what looks like a bunch of about 1/8 inch long white whisker shavings scattered on the soil surface crawling around and disappearing into the crevices of the surface. I cannot find any them on the stalks, leaves or flowers, but I do not have a powered magnifier to inspect the plants. I have used a pesticide soap spray to treat the surface and rinsed it in to the soil between multiple applications with a final misting of the surface to end. This seems to cause them to at least retreat into the depths of the soil for 24 to 48 hours but they always reappear.