Little Red Bugs on my plant

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ClosedForGood, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Well, its not MINE, it my dads (see http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/406583-begginer-without-funds.html ) but I take care of his garden [actual garden, only one plant]
    Theres these little red bugs, look somewhat like stink bugs but BRIGHT red and very squishy. They were all over the small leaf buds that are coming in.

I dont want these all over the plants I plan on bringing up, so any ideas what they are and how to keep them away?

Peace, Love, Dove and Frisbee
    -Groundhog-

2. First of all this should be posted in the sick plants and problems thread, not the general chill out zone lol. That being said they are probally just some kind of squash bugs. A pic would help. What kind of plants does your dad have? Heres a good link on squash bugs. Squash Bug, HYG-2141-88

3. You are probably right since he did have a squash plant just 2 feet away [we just ripped it out because it attracted too many mosquittos]

And I didnt notice the sick plants area had a section for bugs
    My bad!

**EDIT***

You were absolutely right, gogole images.
    Its exactly what I saw, thankyou!

4. Yup np dude. Heres an all natural route to get rid of em and keep em gone.

There are several things you can do next season to avoid squash bugs. You can try planting nasturtiums and petunias to repel them. I have nasturtiums around my pumpkins and I haven't seen any this year. Also you can use floating row covers until female flowers begin to open to provide a physical barrier to keep them away. Some people also use a zucchini as a sacrificial plant.

If you want to control them this season without chemicals you can try creating a cedar tea by boiling water with cedar chips in it. Then you spray it on the leaves (after it cools of course). And this should be done in the morning because you don't want the leaves to be damp when it is dark since that encourages other problems.
    Also in case you don't already do this destroy (burn or throw out) infested vines at the end of the year and also you should be rotating your crops.

Oh welcome to GC btw.