Little green flies

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NeverBeenHigh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. So today, I put my 3, two-week old plants outside for some warmth, with a light above, and left em there from 1pm-8:30pm. When I took them in, I noticed they all had these tiny green fly-like bugs on their leaves and stems. And I mean TINY. 1-2mm. I took them off, and killed them. Does anyone know what they are, if if they're detrimental, or beneficial to the plants? I was worried the green came from eating the plants.

2. This is why I don't put indoor plants outside. You can bring in bugs that have no natural predators in your growroom and their population explodes.

3. They're going to be outdoor plants. I'm trying to acclimate them. I don't have the adequate lighting to grow inside right now.

4. Aphids? Ladybugs will help

5. Definitely not aphids. That was my first thought. But they look nothing like that. These are tiny transparent green, delicate little flies.

6. Probably gnats bro they swarm in clouds at my place every spring.

mj

7. #7 NeverBeenHigh, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
    Nah man. Gnats are black. I found something called a green lacewing, but I can't get an idea of their size. They look big, and this was ridiculously tiny.

8. Making a indoor plant and out door could be stressful. Also could trigger flowering to early if the lighting times are significantly different.

9. What part of the planet do you reside in bro, that may help to identify the suspect bug.:rolleyes:

mj:D

10. Northern California. 90mi N. Of San Fransisco. 60mi inland.

11. And AleR, that's why I'm gradually acclimating it, and slowly altering the lighting. But this is my first grow. And I can't support them indoors. Any suggestions?

12. Well sucks that you're doing outdoor now if you did it at the beginning your yield would be much greater. But heres a suggestion you ahould try pruning.

13. Well they're only about 3 inches tall, and two weeks old, still inside, in peat cups..so I assumed it wouldn't really affect them just yet.

14. Man, I just don't know. If those green lacewings were the as small as the whiteflies, then I'd say it's them. Looks like a lacewing. Size of a whitefly. I'm lost.

15. Oh well then thats good they cant even flower yet

16. Look up "tarnished plant bug" in it's premature stages. It has one step in its life cycle where it looks just like you describe.

17. I didnt find anything similar. Honestly, if you look up green lacewing. It's exactly that. But super small. As in, you could fit like 7 on a pinky nail.

18. There are 4400 different species of aphids. They probably all don't look the same

19. Found it I'm pretty sure. Bluegreen Aphid

[​IMG]