Little flies around my girls

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by iLoveTheBuds, Jul 10, 2013.

1. I'm not sure if they're dangerous or how to remove them I hear the fungus gnats eat ur roots my girls look healthy but there's a few of these little guys flying in my closet I have them in the open closet now but I'm getting a 2x4 tent tomorrow how can I get rid of them and how did they get in my girls are 4-5 days old and looking healthy. image.jpg

2. What soil u using. Ffof is known fod gnats. Let ur soil dry out between waterings they like moist soil

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I have them in Roots organic only enough to fill a solo cup though I'm gonna let the soil go 100% dry before watering again. When i transfer to 3 gals ill make sure the soil is loose and 20% perlite so i can get drainage to combat them. hopefully the brand new tent and dry soil when going in will make it hard for them to thrive. I heard the dimatious earth or w/e people put on their cats is biodegradable and kills them. Another thread said to put a dish with apple cidar vinegar and alittle soap to attract them.

4. Here's a picture of the girls there's about 170w on them now ill get a 250w to help soon

Attached Files:

5. I smoke flies, eggs and spider mite webs.

6. #6 iLoveTheBuds, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
    Lol these are just seedlings with a few occasionally walking or flying around I kill and flyers with my hands clapping them in my palm and just smush the walkers but you can tell they come from the moist soil. I prey I won't ever deal with mites i plan on strictly tents or maybe a 2x4 structure setup when i get more room i'm gonna get a fan and scrubber for the tent so hopefully with ample airflow they stay really sanitary in the future. I was going to use hps but I'm just going to do 2 250w 2700k cfls I think for flower. SoG approach for now started 10 got 9 hopefully i get a good ratio and i'll clone the strongest girl flower the rest.

7. I've heard Roots Organic soil tends to have fungus gnats. Depending on how far along the gnats are I would recommend using something safe and organic like Neem Oil. Once gnats get started they become a nuisance. Their larvae hatches and you get tons of baby ones crawling around and hopping about the soil trying to fly. Not only is Neem useful against gnats its useful against other pests/fungus and is 100% safe when used correctly. You should probably wait until your plants are about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old before using. Follow the directions and spray very lightly.

Another more immediate method is to put a nice layer of HORTICULTURAL sand on top of the soil. Also leaving out the bowl of water should kill some as well. Just some thoughts.

8. I found out where they're living i poped the top on my soil container which was right next to the grow and a bunch were in the bag full of the roots organic the ffof did have any though so i'll use that for my transplant in a few days. just got the girls some new 26w 6500k bulbs for side lighting they seem to be happy and pretty bug free now that i got that bag of soil out of the house. I will either toss that soil and just use the fox farm or find something to mix in there to kill them and make it usable.