Literal Closet Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Enronitis, Aug 3, 2019.

1. #1 Enronitis, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Got a closet that's ~18" x 28" x 90"(W/D/H) that I want to use before moving to a larger space in my basement.
    Consider this a serious test-run if you will.
    I'm interested in doing a hydroponic grow- and can easily have a reservoir outside of that area.

What are the recommendations? Walls are already white, but I'm willing to purchase a tent- or cover it all with reflective materials.

I wanted to go QB and have seen lots of recommendations for different ones, but am unsure what to go with being how small the space is- but do want to absolutely max it out. Following what I know, or was told, I should be able to get by with ~200W- but should I just opt for 300-400?

It's a closet in a room that in the summer gets pretty hot ~85*F but does have an AC and already have fans I can use to circulate air as necessary. In the winter it averages about 75*F. Also have a de-humidifier on hand as where I'm at in the city can get pretty thick.

Thoughts? Advice? Should I not bother? Be honest with me folks.

Cheers.

PS: I'm sure this is asked all the time but I haven't quite encountered a thread with these specs, usually bigger (4x4s) or people growing in micro computer cases. Sorry!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I like the suggested fixture but you might as well go for one with a wider light spectrum. KingBright has new ones that include UV, white leds, 660nm deep reds, and IR leds. I would go for one of those instead if you need to go to alibaba to save money. I'm assuming you're in AU?

Just one of these is all you need. They're about 260 watts when maxed wall draw.

I would suggest you get the 3500k whites for a start to finish light so you have a little more blue to balance out the red.

Pre-assembled Uv+ir+660nm Red+lm301h 240w Kingbrite Quantum Board 288 Grow Light - Buy Quantum Board,Kingbrite Quantum Board,Quantum Board 288 Product on Alibaba.com

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #5 Enronitis, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Hi mate, I'm actually in the states- I can do alibaba or not if there's other suggestions-
    Appreciate it greatly!

Would it be better to get a higher W? 320?

4. Your space is too small for that. You're basically in a 2x2. Even 250 watts is a little too much.

Want another option that's not from China? More reliable supplier? Your space is about perfect for a single qb96v2 IMO.
    QB96 Elite V2 Engine

If you ran that on an HLG-240h-54a I think you'd be pretty happy actually. You'd run it dimmed to below 200 watt range most of the time.
    https://www.onlinecomponents.com/me...VBMZkCh0-YwGkEAYYBCABEgJGk_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hang it like this. Rated to bloom 4 square feet and that's with a lower power driver. Should be great in your space with that extra headroom. You can push it hard but give it good distance so it spreads. It can take this driver maxed with a fan on the heatsink.
    IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1092.JPG

5. Whoever told you to go with 300-400 watts in about 4 square feet is a little crazy. Maybe with HPS. You can fill about a 3x3 or 9 square feet in flower with a 240 or 320 watt qb board setup.

6. What you should figure out is how to duct an exhaust fan for your closet to the outside so it can pump out the hot air from the space and the smell the rest of the time. It's essential in any garden over about 150 watts or so.

7. Amazing,
    I so appreciate all this information- you are a God!

• Like Like x 1
  8. #10 Enronitis, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Yeah I'm trying to work that out, I am going to be putting a tent-ish door and thinking of hanging a fan above with a cut mesh section to exhaust out with- any suggestions on small fans while you're out here giving great info?

Between the two, I assume you recommend the QB96 over the Kingbrite? Just trying to make my plant happy as possible when it's time hahaha, while also learning a thing or two.

EDIT: After looking at QB96 I'll put a fan on top of the heatsink, with a fan mounted higher up to push the heat out; probably a small USB fan- I think it might work to clear the temp.
    The room can also always be AC'd as necessary- and was planning on leaving a fan blowing into the space

9. If I was you I'd go with the QB96s
    One of those will be awesome in that space and they scale if you get the right driver. I started with one in my 2x4 tent and just added a 2nd.
    I bought a 60x60mm computer fan and put it directly on the heatsink and was running the single at 250w at 90*f. These lights will take as much power as you can throw at them if you keep them cool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's awesome, I appreciate the information mate.

• Like Like x 1
  11. You'll want the exhaust fan dumping outside because it helps manage air changes and humidity. Running the air in a circle in even an ac controlled room might not be the best idea. You could try it but I'm betting you'll want a real exhaust setup. Your humidity is bought to get high.

12. Gotcha, that will be a bit harder to manage as the nearest window is a good 10 feet away- I could just leave the windows open at all time; would that help you think?

13. No problem. Most ductwork you buy comes in 20 feet sections. Get black on the inside so it keeps light from traveling down the ductwork. It's almost like fiber optic line when it's silver on the inside. The light will even go around corners.

Build a window vent. It's basically a piece of plywood with a 6" duct opening hole cut in the center. Cut it about 12' wide and the height of your window. Put weather stripping all the way around it and shut the piece of plywood in the window. Cut some scraps of wood to wedge the window tight shut against the piece of wood. Connect the duct to the opening.

If you don't have a sealed duct going out it will just short circuit the hot air back to the tent. You can get some cooling effect without the vent going all the way outside but it won't be near as effective as a real sealed duct and it will be hard to manage humidity. If you're trying to eliminate odor you can't dump the stinky air from the grow back in the space. You need to get rid of it by pumping it outside.

14. Gotcha; if that's the best option then I will just do that- especially being if the window being open doesn't circulate by itself enough

15. Talking to another guy about this exact thing in PM. He said the grow store told him to add two intake fans and didn't necessarily think he needed to duct the exhaust fan all the way out.

Honestly I think adding the two intake fans would do almost nothing. You have to duct that hot moist air out especially in flower when the plant is large, wall to wall in the grow space, and feeding heavy. You'll get mold on the buds if you don't control humidity and circulation of air well at that point.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Amazing window vent build starting at 3 minutes in this video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mine is way more basic because I don't have to really hide it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gotcha-
    Honestly, I'm not worried about anyone in the house- but just allocated a small space before we finish the basement and then I can have more real fun.
    Would a dehumidifier help? I have one on hand- just sort of playing devils advocate here. The room the closet is in is at most 100 sqft- I've got a 1200 cubic feet dehumidifier I can easily leave on.
    I will try and have as much airflow out as possible- just trying to see what my best options are so I can hit the ground running and not ruin anything.

At this point it seems I'll have a heatsink fan for the Q96, a top mounted fan to flow-out, and bottom fan to circulate air in, possibly a dehumidifier- and maybe duct it all out

I super appreciate your help, again. You're amazing!

• Like Like x 1