Listening to MGMT Congratulations for the first time

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by MenacingVisage, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I'm totally sober right now. Not even a residual high. For the record.
    [​IMG]

Okay, so, initially I didn't want to give this album a chance as the tracks I listened to just didn't jump out at me like the last album. I loved every track on the last album (except for maybe 4th dimensional transition) I was most definitely not one of those people that only listened to Kids, and Time to Pretend. I loved that album A LOT.
    I've never even listened to it high, but it just made me feel insanely creative on its own. It just inspired so many different emotions in me, and just had this dreamy absorbing quality. No band I know of makes me want to draw things, and just spurt out all sorts of cool ideas for pictures quite like MGMT.
    Most of all I loved all the psychedelic 70's concept album influences. I loved how similar it sounded to led zeppelin at times, yet more accessible and obviously with access to better equipment. The songs were just full of all sorts of ideas, concepts, influences, and genres crammed into each song. Blah Blah, anyway, before i get out of hand.

This album, is.... Great. No, it's not as good as the previous album. But in an apples to oranges way, it's entirely on preference as to what you're looking for. If you're looking for more of the last album, you'll be a bit disappointed. They're still playing with 70's influences but entirely different ones this time. There is farrrrr less guitar sound to the album unlike the last album, the keyboard and singing takes center stage this time, and it just sounds way less organic. The music has much more body to it, which is up to personal taste, but I prefer to hear each instrument rather than to have them drown eachother. The singer is way less Robert Plant like for sure.

But it's still great music. No, it won't quite knock you on your ass in amazement like Oracular Spectacular, but it will still amaze you. It definitely sounds as though it was made with potheads in mind haha. All sorts of little ambient background noises and little touches like that. I've yet to listen to it high but I could already tell it would sound awesome if I was.

On the whole the album has a very cheery tone to it in comparison to Oracular Spectacular. Although, I can't say Oracular Spectacular was at all sad, it just didn't reek of any one mood throughout, but this album definitely maintains a really cheery theme throughout, I think it would definitely prevent and save people experiencing bad highs.

Anyway, what did you fans of previous MGMT work think of this album?