List of college majors

Discussion in 'General' started by LE6IT, Jul 15, 2010.

1. So I'm interested in getting into college (22) but have no clue what i want to aim towards. I'm not requesting suggestions but rather options. There are a lot of options and i would like to start looking at a list of options and researching ones on my own to determine what i might be interested.

All i know is i am not interested in anything medical or anything in arts.

trying to find something i could make a career out of easily, like taking economics basically secures u a gov job at the least paying 6figures. but i also want it to be something im cool with doing for the rest of my life. Going for a 4yr, M.A may be possible.

2. economics will NOT land you a gov job, and will NOT get you 6 figures. it's very hard to get a job with a business or econ degree unless you have connections.

be an engineer. very desireable on the job market, and generally earn the most out of any undergrad major.

im doubling in Chemical and Environmental engineering. ChemE's average (50th percentile) 72k a year out of undergrad... so i'm looking forward to that :)

3. you want options, open up the brochure

4. I'm going into political science. I know it isn't all that great for the $$$$ but I love politics and it's something I could see myself doing and enjoying which is all that matters.

besides a lot of jobs don't really care about what your degree is, just as long as you have one. My Dad manages a trucking company with a History degree.

5. ITT Tech broooooooooooooo

6. it doesn't matter really.....i have a degree, and i'm still in school!

but for real,

got an associates in philosophy by taking post-secondary credits in HS.

now i'm applied science with a minor in philosophy.

prob looking at grad school too.

but i can afford it; i have my own little business offering creative solutions to business with just about everything.

so i can graduate with a degree that's super flexible, and i still make a decent living while being happy.

7. keep'em coming.

thanks so far. have actually been looking at some possibilities with engineering.

8. Teachers, especially math, are in high demand in many parts of the country. You get a decent salary, butt loads of free insurance, and paid summers off.

9. I plan on majoring in Music education. I'll have my AA degree after this semester then ill be going to a university in my state for my BA and will probably get a MA after that

10. Do what we need most... become a doctor. People will always feel grateful to you and you'll make crazy good money.

11. I can't afford to go back to the university right now, so I'm getting my associates of arts this spring. some degree is better than no degree. But I am 18 credits from my bachelors in History. It's a pretty broad subject. I'm hoping to get into research maybe working for the FBI someday. Or I would love working for the park service and doing interpretive work. Maybe specialize and work in an auction house. I love doing genealogy, I could work for the DAR.
    Forestry is a pretty bomb career if you love the outdoors.

12. You can do engineering. It's not the easiest thing but you can easily get a job and you'll get paid a shitload.

13. Become a psych major. Shit is so fun. I am currently in my 3rd year of my Psych Degree, and loving it all. Can't wait to do my masters!

14. Wat?!?! I suppose I should suck it up and take the physics courses. I'm just majoring in gen. Chem. I know will have to take few; not as many as a CE:eek:

15. Well I'm majoring in Computer Science, but if you want to do that you better make sure you're good at math, problem solving, and critical thinking because there is a lot of both in the field.

16. I'm doing Entrepreneurship, for the sole fact of I have no idea what to do with my life, and I figured owning a business can't hurt lol. Maybe even a glass company or sumthin :smoke:

17. #17 RipIt1, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
    Teaching is in HIGH demand right now.

Actually, it's always in high demand. They never have enough teachers. Wouldn't have too much trouble going into that field. Problem is you make virtually no money when you start, but once you hit tenure you're set.

Summers off, insurance, and sometimes fully paid retirement.

English Education major right here. But, if you don't like kids or giving them your time to help, don't teach. :D

Edit: Oh yeah... and most districts don't drug test! (Not sure if it's all of them or not...)

18. I was Pre-Econ for a couple of years but decided it was completely pointless for me because I wasn't as interested in it as I thought I'd be. Switched to creative writing and linguistics, and that is equally pointless BUT I'm loads happier...

Go with something you really absolutely have genuine interest in otherwise you won't be happy doing it and probably won't do it well. You will be most successful with something you are good at, not whatever job profession makes the most $$$.

Also, options are limited to which school you wanna go to...so you can narrow it down by choosing which kind of institute you want to earn your degree from.

Good luck.

19. Hey what you need to do is look back at your previous schooling. What I tell students who are looking at schools and have no idea what to do is that whatever you liked the most in high school is a great place to move towards. You obviously stay away from topics you are not good at.

As far as the government job, I am currently going to a great school for political science. The college will make all the difference. You should choose a place that is geared towards what you are interested in because you will have much better teachers who are there because it is a good school for their topic. I would say, take some credits at the local community college and save some money. Once you really have a better idea of what you want to do then you move onto a 4 year.

I have been to community, a state school, and now a private university and the professors I have now make the previous look like they should be teaching high school.
    Good luck with figuring it out. And by the way it is a bad idea to go for a career that has a higher initial income if you will not be happy with your job. If you go into something that you are really damn good at, the money will follow.

20. I majored in Basketball. worked out well