Liquid fertiliser and dry amendments??!

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Reuben, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Hey everyone,
    So I'm about to start my second coco grow indoors and have tonnes of House and Garden Coco base nutrients here that I want to use. I'm not a massive fan of them as it seems you have to buy atleast most of their line to get solid results. My last grow I managed to get through with just their base nute plus cal-mag but feel the results were limited largely due to it only being the base nute. With how often I'm watering I'm not too keen to buy all the bottles as it'll cost a fortune.

So I've been doing some research to try figure out what kind of nutrients to use. I looked into all-in-one additives and they still seem expensive for the size of grow I'm looking to do (15 small plants) in 5 x 5 tent.

I heard on a YouTube podcast, the guys from Dude Grows do a medium of coco, perlite, wormcastings, Biochar and glacial rock dust. I don't think they use any liquid fertiliser.

My question is, could I use my H&G base nutrients BUT use the worm castings, glacial rock dust and biochar for my micronutients? Obviously I would have to reduce the amount of base nute used but would the H&G nutes destroy all the good bacteria and micro-organisms in the organic additives mentioned?
    I'm hoping this way I can keep the grow time short and still get good yields. Or will the organic amendments slow things down?
    Sorry if these are silly questions but I'm out of my depth here! Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance from Australia

2. I would check out the cocoforcannabis website for all your coco needs . . .

3. I've learnt heaps from that website but nothing about amendments there. If I don't get many responses here I might post the question there. Thanks

4. Yeah, I see what you mean. I always thought of coco as a hydro thing. Next best ive seen is Mr. Canucks grow on utoob. He does coco perlite with earthworm castings. Probably mostly from Gaia green.

5. #5 GroBuddy, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Why not just get some good soil. With one transplant at 3 weeks into 5 gallons autos can go up to 2 months with no top feed. Photos with 2 transplants one at a month into 2 gallons then in another month into 5 or 7 gallons can go 3 months with no top feed. You're trying to do too much imo. Liquid nutrients do add up.

Normally using both liquids and dry you run into issues. Liquids and dries are different are treated different and effect medium and roots differently. Using organics you don't have to ph using liquids you do. Microbes ph the rhizosphere just fine go to tinkering with that you could have ph fluctuation

run coco with liquids or coco with dry amendments. Soil doesn't even do good running both

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Reuben, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Thanks for the reply. I was pretty set on using the H&G nutrient base I have already cause I don't want to waste it but I am starting to think I should just do a Coco organic grow seeing as it will still be cheaper than buying additives. I have Coco and perlite here already so I guess I just need some compost or worm castings and some other bits and bobs maybe. Thanks for the tips man.

7. Haha I love his videos. His buds always look delicious. I was hoping to do more of a hydro thing to keep it under three months, cause aren't his grows usually over six months or so? Might be worth it though haha

8. Hey hey, I dont wanna derail thread but you write soil dont do good using both dry amendments and liquid.
    I use ewc and organic liquids. Do you mean this is a crash? Or was you thinking of synthetic products mixed with organic?

9. N
    The nutes I have here are house and garden Coco A and B and I read that they are about 80% organic. But do you reckon it will still kill the good shit in living soil?

10. Thats a good question for the organics lounge. I dont know, but when I think of what I have read about it it seems likely

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Synthetic.
    OP doesn't use organic liquids does he? Not from what I read I dont believe. Never used home and garden or h&g a and b. I assume that's what h&g stands for op can you tell me what of soil stands for. Lol spell it out if I'm mistaken that's why

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Worried about wasting nutrients but growing in coco you use nutrients every watering 1 to 3 times daily, after like day 5. The thing with dry vs liquids. Nutrients are absorbed through the plants roots at certain ph levels. Dry are slow release and dont have to be ph since drys dont technically feed the plant. Liquids are readily available and need to be ph making the nutrients available for plant consumption. Phing liquid nutrients ( Synthetic) will throw medium ph off making a unbalanced habitat for microorganisms hindering the use of dry organics

Most times leading to nutrient burn and or lockouts. Easy to excessively feed when using both

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Liquid nutes do not kill any microbes in soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thanks for the knowledge bombs mate.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. It's not organic so sounds like best to stick to one or the other. H&G stands for house and garden.

16. If you're still around mate can I ask this.. If I use my base nutrients:
    https://www.house-garden.com.au/cocos-ab
    Then add one of these products for my micronutrients. Would that be enough?
    Neutrog 1L GoGo Juice Liquid Concentrate - Bunnings Australia
    Manutec 500g Trace Element Soluble Powder - Bunnings Australia

Thanks for your time :)

17. Idk bud never used or heard of it. I've also never used any kind of nutrients that didn't list its nkp value. I couldn't find that information anywhere from that link you left to give any information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. I water my living soil to runoff with strong synthetic hydro nutrients,worm castings,microbes. I haven't needed to adjust pH of the make up water like I would in coco and perlite.

19. #20 GroBuddy, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Right, I have a blue pen soil ph pen. In organic soil like that I'll measure 7.3 granted everything I've learned suggest at that high of a ph nutrient availability should be limited. However so far I've yet to run into any issues due to an elevated ph. That's sometime during flower my soil ph will start to climb a bit. Generally 6.5- 6.9 using mostly tap but if I just need a gallon or 2 I'm subject to use ro, but of course as you mentioned mixed with organic shit. For both tap and ro I rarely do plain waters for indoor plants

Haha that's probably why, sorry my high ass just had a light bulb go off. Lol microbes ph so maybe using organic to water mine usually foams that balances everything out. Microbes ph the water or atleast enough the rhizosphere stays moderately habitable for microbes.

This is more so for people who believe in ph. Which is needed for most growing techniques. These are 2 months old only gotten the water hose thus far. Using a boogie blue filter or rv ( I'd just get a more expensive one ) they can be watered directly from the hose pipe or you can immediately use water you dont have to sit out for 24hrs

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1