Linux Newbie

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Vee, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Tired of M$oft shit

want to give Linux a whirl, have a copy of Tails o/s

have you any links that may ease me into this alt sys..?

thx

• Like Like x 1
  2. Linux Mint is easy to learn from Windows and has several desktop themes to choose from. It is pretty stable and has long-term support. Linux has a very large user forum which will cover most questions about the different OS.
    You can try different OS by running a live CD or usb stick, without installing it on the hard drive first. PM if you have questions getting started.

PW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tails is generally just for TOR etc, easiest way to get into Linux is either mint or lubuntu.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 sgt baker, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    If it's a desktop to replace Windows, try ubuntu dude, I run xubuntu because I like xfce 4 a lot more than Unity so I would recommend that. You can get Tor up and running and secure any distro of linux, that's no problem though I don't use Tor.

I have run everything from netbsd to ubuntu, I think there's a lot to be said about the ease of installation and debian package system in 2016. The other stuff is more server based. The rolling release stuff like Arch I wouldn't advise for you yet... It's totally doable because I remember when I learned I went with slackware back in the mid 90's and a lot can be said for the learning process with that kind of thing. But for someone looking to get up and going and have a solid stable base system easy package management in under an hour, ubuntu. Linux mint the same like the poster above mentioned, I haven't run that distro though. Linux is the kernel.

I'd recommend OSX to replace windows really, but if you're against the hardware or just replacing your PC OS yeah, go with linux

5. What's bothering you about Microsoft windows?

6. Use Linux Mint. Its the best to get started! Much better than Ubuntu interface.
    Download Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon or Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon.
    Microsft Windows SUX, specially Windows 10. If you value your security and privacy you will move out of it.
    I only use windows for gaming, dual boot is very easy with Linux.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well don't start with Tails, yo. That OS has a specific purpose (high security, no data retention, etc) and use case (remaining as private as possible) and is not meant as an everyday OS by a long shot.

I recommend Mint, with the Cinnamon interface to get started. If you have any questions about Linux, PM me, I've been a Linux and BSD nerd since like 2001-2002ish. Currently use OpenBSD as my primary OS, but I have four other computers running Linux (three run Arch Linux (including media server), and my gaming PC runs Mint Cinnamon).

8. currently 'playing' with Kubuntu, a mini ubuntu/linex for an old xp latop

thanks guys

9. That's a good one. I've always preferred KDE.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I fucked with elementary OS for a little bit, about month or so, but I didn't like it too much. One of the pros is it looks clean as hell though. I've been going back and forth between Ubuntu and various other distros. Trying to find my preferred flavor.

Would like to move up to Arch soon, ideally when I get a new computer.

I keep tails on a USB drive for whenever I'm away from my PC.

11. Ubuntu is great if you want a plug-and-play introduction to Linux without the fuss. All the other stuff is for hipsters trying to be edgy.

What I love about Ubuntu is that you can pretty much plug any USB device into it and 95% of the time it'll work .. without the need to manually install any additional drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The reason why Ubuntu is so user-friendly is because it's essentially designed to be the Linux distro for Ex-Windows/Mac users. Just because it's the easiest to use doesn't make it the best. It's not as secure as other distros.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've personally never caught single virus when using Ubuntu .. and I've been using it for nearly 5 years.

Windows, on the other hand .. ... I've had viruses that pop up even after a system re-format.

14. #15 HateCity, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    When you make the switch to Arch, remember "HateCity", I've been using it as my preferred Linux distribution for the last 12 years or so. So message me if you have any questions or need any help. I gotcha, yo. Also, their wiki is amazing. People who use other distros often reference the Arch Linux wiki for its wealth of information.

You get all the benefits of Gentoo (speed, simplicity, rolling release, bleeding-edge packages) without the fucking irritating compile times. Unless you want to compile shit from source, in which case Arch offers ABS (Arch Build System). But, unless you're doing serious customization, fuck that noise. Granted, much of the community-maintained software repository for arch called the Arch User Repository (non-official software packages) must be compiled from source, but you'll probably only use a handful of those packages, if any, and many offer binary/precompiled counterparts.

15. Learning Linux Linux+_c67256e5f02c6d3b42fcc9efe8dd1270.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. I've installed Linux mint few days ago, I'm not new in the Linux world as I've been using Ubuntu for long, but just as a normal user. Seems good, I only need to fix some minor issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. You can secure Ubuntu just like the rest. It's default setup is fine for regular users. Not the best default setup I've ever seen or anything, but if you're getting to that point, you'll know what to do.

I would stay away from rolling release distros for new users or anyone wanting a stable system to actually get work done on... or servers obviously. I would recommend Debian, Gentoo, Slackware or BSD over Arch any day of the week if you wanna be hardcore or some shit, need to build from minimal base, or actually run a server. The Arch-wiki is the best thing about Arch. I'll never run Arch again... ever.