Linksys router connection issue

Discussion in 'General' started by wackdeafboy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Show me where that wiki link is incorrect pls! :smoke:

2. Call Linksys, they are REALLY helpful, seriously.

3. #43 wackdeafboy, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    Okay, now I got my modem working.

Now
    I need help with the router. My computer can't connect to the router.
    "Unable to connect to DHCP server"

I can't call them, I can't hear well on the phone. :/

4. You're incorrect. Broadband is a generic term for all forms of internet access that use high sppeds (usually any internet access faster than dial-up).
    DSL, cable, fios, wireless radios, etc. would all be considered broadband.

I'll never understand why so many people think everything on wikipedia can automatically be disregarded as if everything on there is false. Often times the facts are backed up with references. Sure, the facts can be found elsewhere, but why shouldn't someone just post a wikipedia link that has all that info consolidated?

Anyway,
    Trying running this http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

If that doesn't work you might try statically assigning to IP to your computer.

5. #45 kinetic being, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    Is your firewall blocking DHCP?

I think you can logically extend that to find out what a desktop client needs... ...On second thougt, I'm not too sure what you would have to do, but I didn't think about it for too long. I geuss its better to put in more than to exclude it...Do what you want with it, take it however you want...

Also, make sure that you didn't set your computer to use a static IP, as DHCP often assigns different IP addresses to your computer. That is, if DHCP is dynamiclly getting the IP address...You can also set it to be static (either automatically or manually), but I believe (not 100% sure about how Windows does this) that the default is for dynamic configuration.

If you have your network half-way setup manually, and the other half automatically, it could be causing your problems...

I'm no expert though...just trying to put some ideas out there...

edit: Maybe some more from wikipedia could help...

And, on the topic of wikipedia's credibility:

A lot of the problems with wikipedia's credibility has to do with controversial issues and events, and much less with technical matters that can't really be spun in any particular direction.

also, (damn this post is getting long...) if you want to check if its your computer's setup or your router's setup that messing things up, you could boot from a linux LiveCD (don't worry, its completly free and won't change anything unless you tell it to) and connect to the internet from there (all the decent ones will connect automatically, with almost any setup, though wireless is notoriously under-supported). If it does connect, you know its your setup in Windows, and if it doesn't its much more likely to be a problem with the router.

6. thank you. i wasnt going to bother respond to the troll myself.

7. If you can connect to your router what does it have for Internet Connection Type? I believe with DSL it should be set to PPPoE. If it's not try this:

Change your Internet Connection Type to PPPoE and type in your username and password. This stuff is done when you log in to the router. It should be the first screen that it comes to but if not it's under the Setup --> Basic Setup tab.

I hope this helps!

8. Oddly, a couple days after posting in this thread, my WRT54G v6 has gone off the deep end. It's plugged in from the modem and the connections were all good. My computers were connecting, but the internet from the modem couldn't be found.

I'm completely puzzled atm. And I might have bricked the router... :(

Thank god for the neighbors WIFI for now.

9. That sucks. I'm still working on my router issue. :/

10. mine is still working perfectly:hello:

11. Yeah, this post aint need to be posted.. That why I neg rep you. You just neg rep back for no reason. Come on, stop being a childish.