Linksys router connection issue

Discussion in 'General' started by wackdeafboy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Well he was having connection issues... I hope he gets it solved. I know I get really mad when I can't figure out lab configurations. I love networking!

2. Well he was using the internet off of ethernet before, that's why he could post here.

The only reason I learned anything about networking, was because I had to fix mine so many times, haha.

But it's definitely useful to know.

3. Now I lost the internet at home. I'm at library right now.
    Now my modem is fucked up and my router. I just want to reset everything back to normal. My modem internet is on orange/green. I set back to factory settings on firewall and modem.

I don't know how can you reset the router if I can't connect to internet. Like I said, I'm using direct modem.

4. You should have talked to a tech. I had problems with mine and they helped me fix it in like 5 minutes.

5. #25 wackdeafboy, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009

I rather to learn how to fix it so I don't have to pay 50 bucks just to fix a easy issue.
    Plus, I'm planning becoming computer technician.

How I reset or change the gateway IP?
    I reset to factory settings and it still at 192.168.0.1

6. I dont know all the jazz but when I got router problems I unplugg modem & router at same time let it sit for a couple seconds re-plug it in if it doesnt work use the manual reset on the back of the router.. & if that dont work reset you ip

command prompt

ipconfig /reset

ipconfig /renew

then it should be refreshed if you wanna check ipconfig (on command prompt)

7. You can do it online for free but I see what you're saying.

8. Done that... that was my first step...

msconfig/all does not work at all....

9. #29 Adenoseine, Feb 20, 2009
    you cant run msconfig from the command prompt. you do it from start/run. its not related to your issue at all.

first, go start/control panel, then network connections (might be inside network and internet connections depending on what your view settings are in xp, or in vista it may be control panel/network and sharing center/manage network connections), then right click on your local area connection and select properties, then highlight internet protocol (tcp/ip) and select the properties button right down below, and make sure it is set to obtain the ip address and dns server addresses automatically. in vista, it will be called "internet protocol version 4" instead of just internet protocol.

press ok, then close/ok on the propeties window. then right click the local area connection again and select repair. repair does the same thing as as the ipconfig/renew command. in vista you right click the local area connection and select diagnose.

then go to start/run/cmd to bring up the command prompt, then type "ipconfig" and press enter.

tell us what you have for an ip address and default gateway. the default gateway is usually your routers address.

let me know how this goes then we will try to go further.

Also, linksys has toll free tech support if your router isnt too old. (800)546-5797

10. msconfig has nothing to do with your problem. Ipconfig is what someone above mentioned.

When you are hitting the reset on your modem and router are you holding it for 5-10 seconds? Most often the hard reset needs to be held for a short while, sometimes making the lights on the front clear and flash.

Uninstall any proprietary software that came with the router. Windows can handle wireless connections and sometimes adding the additional software can "confuse" the computer.

11. #31 wackdeafboy, Feb 20, 2009
    The problem right now is that my modem is not working at all anymore. I set to factory default and now I can't get internet. The color on modem is orange/yellow and once awhile, it becomes red for few seconds then back to orange/yellow.

I uninstall everything last month, (maybe I do again today) and then reinstall. Still doesn't do anything....

computer connecting to router is fucked up. unable to connect dhcp server.
    Computer connecting to modem was fine till nugs told me to reset to factory default. Now its even worse and cannot connect to internet.

12. Do you have DSL or cable internet?

13. broadband speed. 3mbps

14. #34 Adenoseine, Feb 20, 2009
    broadband simply means anything 128kbps or higher, regardless of the medium. DSL and cable are both broadband. you can get 3mbps cable or DSL.

the red/yellow light on your modem after resetting it makes me think you have DSL, because most DSL modems have a light that indicates when your pppoe username/password is logged in which is what allows you to connect. when you reset the modem, it puts everythign back to factory default, which deletes your username/password. if you dont have your username/password , youll have to call your ISP to get it.

cable doesnt require a username/password, because it uses dhcp (not dcps as you said in your original post) so a red light would be a completely different issue.

so yeah, gotta find out if you have cable or dsl.

15. no, there many different kinds. 56k, dsl, cable, broadband, fiber optics.

so I got broadband. but in your question.. dsl.. I'll call up qwest to get my isp again.

16. #36 Adenoseine, Feb 20, 2009
    You dont make sense.. you say "no" and then imply that dsl and broadband are separate things.

then you say you have and broadband and that its dsl.

I am telling you, anything other than dial up is broadband. its how the word was derived. dial up uses the narrow voice range of frequencies, which is why its limited to 56k. anything faster than that requires a wider or broader frequency range , to provide more bandwidth. thus broad-band.

17. well no shit.. You said anything thats 128 or higher could be broadband. IT not. Broadband means it faster then dsl. Same with fiber optics.

18. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband

Are you seriously considering studying this stuff in school? If you talk to any career councilor , they will tell you that you should pursue a career in something that you have a natural talent for. Good luck with that and your welcome.

19. Ahahahahha using wikipedia as a source. Oh man, thats good stuff. You must still be in high school right?