Linen Closet Personal Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by sudo toke, Aug 2, 2012.

1. #21 meigsgold, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
    Yes,that is light or heat burns..nutes ok..back uip your lights as they grow.You also need a good fan blowing on them,specially when the lights are on.Air circulation is extremely important.
    You plants will recover if you fix the heat and air probs.

ps-just use one light on one plant,while they are this small,you have too many lights n heat.Add more light after they get 8-inches...about 3 to 4 times the size they are now./...trust me on this.I have killer lookin plants a foot tall,with just one small cfl,that you have in the middle.

2. Any tempeture above 82'F or like 25'C is unfriendly to the plants and will cause stress. You should stick a question on the unhealthy plant section to conclude what is causing the yellowing necrosis, my mind is pointing at the nutes and an acidic soil(from the early nutes). You added nutes already, I think I asked if it was organic, if it is not organic dont use it for like another 2-3 weeks. then start lite for the first dose, around 50% of what it say then the second dose at 75% and then go full strength for the rest. chemical nute destroy the plant if used to strong and early.

Otherwise, the lights are good. you might get a mildly decent haul, if its for only you, you should have a bit of medicine.

3. Been waaaay too long since my last update. Pics! Don't have any way to set up cooling at this point, so other than the fan I've been giving them a few hours rest at the hottest part of the day, and I leave the door cracked when the lights are on (I worry about losing light, but the temp is the bigger deal). I seem to have the temperatures under a little better control now. Pretty close to 80. Still having some yellowing issues, but only on the bottom leaves, really. Top ones seem more or less healthy. The one on the left is having more yellowing at the tips... the stumpy late-grower seems to be doing better than that one now, actually.

Attached Files:

4. Yellowing on lower leafs could be over watering or it needs more nitrogen.it looks to me like you aren't watering often enough..then they get over watered.
    They can handle fairly high temps,if the roots are kept cool.,and good air circulation.Maybe get a larger fan,and use less lighting.See how that does.Plus water them less,but more often..

5. nitrogen was an initial guess of mine. hadn't thought of under/over watering. I'll try watering more often with a little less water.

6. Great,if they keep going downhill..transplant them..that will help and give them a new start..Its hard to diagnose a grow i havn't been around.You would know better than me,about your watering schedule and nutes...so go with which ever fits eh.

7. Tweaked their nutes a bit and changed my watering schedule... also decided to just start leaving the door open... I figure the light loss from not reflecting on the door isn't as bad as the heat. Boy did it help! Pretty sure the little buggers grew an inch overnight! Yellowing has stopped also. Stems in particular are bloody strong.

On the advice of someone else doing a closet grow in a place where holes can't be cut for ventilation, I'll be taking the closet door off of its hinges and putting up a light-proof tarp/velcro door. There is a central air vent next to the closet... going to run half of it into the closet through a hole in the tarp for cooling. That way they can have the "door" shut, keeping light in, while still staying chill :smoke:.

Should I start to consider taking cuttings at this point (the biggest one seems about ready, I'd think)?

Attached Files:

8. If they were my plants,Id wait until they got bigger,and longer branches..I believe the rules is..3 sets of leafs on a branch...

9. Well, I had some pretty good growth since my last post... a couple of big branches on 2 of them. Took some cuttings... we'll see how they fare. Went with Clonex for rooting gel, at the recommendation of the shop (heard good things about it from other sources as well). Pretty happy with their progress so far, considering how half-assed this project has been.

Attached Files:

10. Nice,they are some cool bushes there.It looks like they needed cloned,to thin the branching out some.Keep on rockin...I have a journal now too,if you want to follow along..mainly chemdog and og kush by dinafem.,plus others,oh,and dark lord,from a private breeder.

11. Just subbed earlier today. :smoke: Lookin' tasty.

12. Here's a thought for you...

You might consider re-orienting the larger CFLs you're using into a horizontal position above the plants. Reason being, the vertical orientation you're currently employing is resulting in a waste of the light coming from the sides of the bulbs (even with those reflectors). In case what I'm trying to say isn't coming out clearly, think about relative amounts of surface area that exist on the end vs. the sides of those bulbs; the sides have more, and thus the sides of the bulb have more light to offer.
    Judging from the pictures you've provided, I'm not sure exactly how you'd be able to make the change I've suggested happen. However, it might be a nice thing to consider, especially come time to flower.

13. [quote name='"farmer zack"']Here's a thought for you...

You might consider re-orienting the larger CFLs you're using into a horizontal position above the plants. Reason being, the vertical orientation you're currently employing is resulting in a waste of the light coming from the sides of the bulbs (even with those reflectors). In case what I'm trying to say isn't coming out clearly, think about relative amounts of surface area that exist on the end vs. the sides of those bulbs; the sides have more, and thus the sides of the bulb have more light to offer.
    Judging from the pictures you've provided, I'm not sure exactly how you'd be able to make the change I've suggested happen. However, it might be a nice thing to consider, especially come time to flower.[/quote]

Could he attatch some wire to the roof and hook it through the bulb and pull it up so it sits horizontally?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using GC Forum

14. He very likely could. In fact, that is actually similar to how I addressed the same situation when growing with 100 watt CFLs. It was quite convenient too, come to think of it, as it allowed me to adjust the angle at which the lamp hung relative to the plant in order to keep it uniformly close to parts of the plant that varied in height.

If you're crafty, you could even rig some sort of reflector to be placed above the horizontal bulb.

15. Actually, I was thinking of lowering the lights among the plants, but still between them (so as not to touch leaves), as all sides of the bulb will be facing plant. I've never been happy with the lighting system, but my options in the closet are limited. I've been thinking of making a wood or pvc "limbo" setup, where a rod or wood piece can be moved up and down "teeth" on a pvc frame, like you move down a limbo pole. This would allow me to clamp the lights (they have clamps I've removed) and place them more horizontally, while being able to more finely tune the vertical level. Honestly though, I work and go to school, so I don't have too much time for side projects. It is what it is... if I get to it, I could definitely see ways of improving it. Pretty thrown together and hands off as it is.

More pics forthcoming. Clones are doing very well, better than I thought. I think all, minus one maybe, are going to make it. Hopefully a perpetual harvest is in my near future.

16. Long time since my last post. Been going well. All but one of the clones made it and are going fine. Hopefully the clones will be the start of a SoG setup. For now, we'll see how the big girls do. Been very happy with how much I've got out of them for so little lighting investment.

Attached Files:

17. Been a long time since posting. Flowering for about 2 weeks now and pleasantly surprised at progress. Buds are more dense than I was expecting with flos. Clones are running swimmingly also, I'll throw up some pics of them later. Just goes to show even a seat of the pants, simple set up can still work for personal use with little PITA :).

Attached Files:

18. Looking pretty good in there..is that just cfl's?..its been awhile and I forget..

19. #39 sudo toke, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
    Yup, all cfl, so pretty happy with that so far. I didn't have my nice camera with me, so the shots are terrible. I'll put up some nicer ones of a few buds later, and the clones. Just took a look over at your pics... that chemdog is looking tasty!

20. Thanks,chemdog is bulking up really nice..I wish id got regular seeds now tho,Id love to breed more of them.