Lil help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SeeOne8, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Peace

Ima big smoker (couple grams a day, everyday) when theres weed at hand but an absolute beginner as in ive never grown anything in my life before. recently the amount marijuana i have been smoking has put me in a financial crisis and i want to grow my own weed to save money.

first of all, i need to get seeds which is not an issue since theres a shop selling them near me. i know to get feminized, but is autoflowering seeds worth it? i heard some negative things about it but from what i can tell, it would be perfect (its quick and i won't have to do much except provide light and water/feed it).

now, suppose i have the seeds (i think a haze strain would be good for me) and a small pot, which soil should i use? can i use the ordinary garden soil/compost for flowers and vegetables? and what about nutrients?

is there a way to cut the costs of soil/nutrients coz i am broke? and can i use a table lamp for lighting?

am i missing anything? some help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. [quote name='"SeeOne8"']Peace

Ima big smoker (couple grams a day, everyday) when theres weed at hand but an absolute beginner as in ive never grown anything in my life before. recently the amount marijuana i have been smoking has put me in a financial crisis and i want to grow my own weed to save money.

first of all, i need to get seeds which is not an issue since theres a shop selling them near me. i know to get feminized, but is autoflowering seeds worth it? i heard some negative things about it but from what i can tell, it would be perfect (its quick and i won't have to do much except provide light and water/feed it).

now, suppose i have the seeds (i think a haze strain would be good for me) and a small pot, which soil should i use? can i use the ordinary garden soil/compost for flowers and vegetables? and what about nutrients?

is there a way to cut the costs of soil/nutrients coz i am broke? and can i use a table lamp for lighting?

am i missing anything? some help would be appreciated.

thanks[/quote]

Auto strains are low yielding and not as potent as photo strains, however a lot of people grow them with good results, I'm tryin an auto as we speak. As far as soil nutrients, the only way to save there is to invest in either making your own organic mix or spending extra money on soil like fox farms or roots organic, that way the nutrients are in the soil an all you would have to do is use plain water. The store naught soil should have enough amenities for a full auto grow or roughly 2-3 months for a photo.

IMO I say forget what you've heard about autos and grow one, the worst that can happen is you get weed that's not as potent as regular bud, but at least you will be able to make you own opinion on autos. I've seen people get anywhere from a few grams to a few ounces off autos, that's just my opinion though bro.

3. thanks alot for your input

on the website, it says the yield is 100g do you think this is a reasonable estimate or is it just bullshit? anyway im gonna get 5 seeds on monday and well see how it works. as far as the soil/nutrients are concered, a friend of a friend of mine is a grower and ill just ask him for some.

4. As stated, there is give and take. You want strong big fat buds? go photo. but if you dont mind smaller plants, you can grow 60 day autos. Plant a second every 30 days. harvest a plant a month.

5. Today's auto's rival the yield of photoperiod plants. Considering some strains finish in 70days.

Try growing a photo for 70days from seed. See what u end up with. :rolleyes:

OP:
    Invest in a good soil. Nutrients are up too u. U could go organic and 'make' ur own nutrients.. Desk lamp with a single bulb? Are you serious?

Look at some grows around the site. A little research goes a long way. Or u can jus hope an pray that ppl answer all ur questions. That way u can be lazy an not have to do ur homework.

6. [quote name='"GrapeDutchh"']Today's auto's rival the yield of photoperiod plants. Considering some strains finish in 70days.

Try growing a photo for 70days from seed. See what u end up with. :rolleyes:

OP:
    Invest in a good soil. Nutrients are up too u. U could go organic and 'make' ur own nutrients.. Desk lamp with a single bulb? Are you serious?

Look at some grows around the site. A little research goes a long way. Or u can jus hope an pray that ppl answer all ur questions. That way u can be lazy an not have to do ur homework.[/quote]

I agree, you gotta b willing to put in time reading. Don't get me wrong, ask all the questions you need to but try to educate yourself before asking so you can get a better understanding of what's being advised.

I also agree with the light, 1 single cfl will not do any plant justice, that would work for the first 2 weeks of a seedlings life, maybe. I suggest bigger bulbs or more bulbs, just my opinion.

What are the dimensions of your grow space? Are you able to upgrade light, either add more cfl or purchase an electrical ballast??

7. [quote name='"SeeOne8"']

thanks alot for your input

on the website, it says the yield is 100g do you think this is a reasonable estimate or is it just bullshit? anyway im gonna get 5 seeds on monday and well see how it works. as far as the soil/nutrients are concered, a friend of a friend of mine is a grower and ill just ask him for some.[/quote]

That is just a breeder estimation under perfect environment grown perfect from day 1 with no hiccups which usually doesn't happen, IMO something always goes wrong weather it be little or huge. It is definatley possible to get a great harvest from an auto, on a different forum a user grew an auto dwc and it was HUGE forget how much he got but the oz was plural so it's all personal opinion on autos.

Getting soil and feet from your friend is ok but I would suggest doing your research on what works best for you and your set up, also not all plants are alike, some like to feed heavily others hate nutrients even at very little strength, feeding is something you should do with causation and adjust according to how your plants react. I would try to get all the info your friend can offer in his soil then from there figure out when to feed, how much to feed or if you even need to feed.

Generally speaking people who grow autos usually only feed when the strt to bloom, again that's all personal preference. I say run your own experiment so you know what works and what to avoid with the strain your growing. Like I said what works for 1 plant may not work for the next just keep a watchful eye and let your plant tell you what it likes and what it doesn't like.