Lights, Soil, Number Of Plants, And Other Questions For A Basic Grow Room

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by whimsical, Jul 5, 2014.

1. So, I have been thinking of getting grow room supplies together for two weeks now. I have a closet that's about 4'x4'x7' and I would really like to yield enough for at least 2 (I'd prefer around 4) ounces a month. I want to set everything up for under $500. But if that can't produce what I want, I have no problems raising the start up price. Really, I am worried about the cost of running everything. I don't want anything to look suspicious, and I don't want to pay a lot of money for electric. I would potentially be interested in more expensive (and expensive running) equipment if I could obtain enough green to cover the cost. But my real goal is to get enough for me, my bf, and some left over.

I've been thinking about t5 lights for veg and flower. I was going to implement some cfls or leds in any areas having problem with light. I've considered HIDs for flowering, but I am a bit hesitant about the temperature control and the cost.

I can't decide on a soil. I want to get some good liquid nutes and ferts, is it good to get a soil like fox farm ocean forest if I use the liquid? I will be getting clones, will I need to mix the fox farm with something to prevent initial burning?

One of my main concerns is the variability of it all. I just want a nice yield. Should I start in 1 gal containers and move to 5?

I was thinking of drilling a hole into the floor of the closet. I live in a trailer so it goes straight out into open air. How big would I need the hole to be? Also, could I use a regular type of fan to push air through? I was going to put some activated carbon in panty hose then fit it into the pipe or whatever I have connected to the fan.

Also, would it be okay to grow a little rosemary, lemon balm, and/or lavender in the room to help mask the smell a little? I was also considering a petunia or a hydrangea in the closet. All of these would grow nicely under the canopy. So, it won't interfere with growth in that aspect.

I would really like to see some good journals with t5 lights, the basic nutes and ferts, maybe a few extras, and a relatively simple soil mix. In case any of you have done this or have seen a good one.

I'm sort of a beginner, but I'm good with plants in general. I grew a few crops, but never got into more advanced techniques like sog and just a little LST. I have done a lot of topping, propagating, and dead heading of regular flowers, so I'm not completely lost. Just mostly lost... If you have made it this far, thank you so much for your time. Any advice and personal experience you can share is greatly appreciated.

2. I would buy some T5 lights, potting mix, and some plastic solo cups and get some seeds started today and as the plants grow you can fine tune things as it progresses.

Jump right in and start growing today. Start some culinary herbs for sure.

3. You sir lead a life of risk and danger! haha. I guess I could start with just a few questions. I take it that t5 will be just fine for a personal grow and to cut costs on electric.

About ventilation; I was going to cut a hole straight to outside and create a carbon filter. Would a regular fan be okay instead of a more expensive exhaust? How big should the hole in the floor be?

No danger here, My grow is legal, weed is legal here.

The T5 4 foot long would be a good starter light for all around herbs and cannabis. It is economical to run.

A regular fan will be enough to push air around for a couple months.

Ventilation can be handled with a 6 inch hole. A fan can be $40 on up. You will not need much till you get a bigger hotter light down the road. Lots of home made filter plans online so you can get crafty on that.

Compared to buying weed growing is dirt cheap, Outdoor is almost free and indoor it cost me about $10 an ounce to grow.

5. My bad, I meant risky just starting seeds up. I try to plan out everything, to get and idea of cost and time before starting. Idk why I don't just learn as I go. A little prep is good, but I over do it lol.

Thanks for the advice :)

Awe hell, its just some plants that will be happy to grow for you. light, water and fresh air makes them happy.

good seeds cost money but are well worth it.

I ignore my plants most of the time and they grow like crazy.