lightning and spectrum

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by doss, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Hey, So I was just browsing some forums and buy sites and I am still not sure about all the light bulbs.

Lets say I choose to grow with MH bulbs, does the MH bulbs only come with one light spectrum so i would have to use HPS for flower? Or is there different light spectrums for the MH and HPS bulbs also?

2. The lighting question - when you ask this, you will probably get a lot of answers. And it all depends on what logic makes the most sense to you.

For me, it makes more sense to have full spectrum lighting since that's what a plant would get if it was outside. But, at the same time, using different spectrum lighting options at different stages of growths makes sense when you want to make plants grow bigger and faster.

When you're choosing lights, I would just recommend that you do a lot of research before you choose the lighting system for you. it depends on what you're growing and what you're trying to do with your grow.

:wave:

3. Well, I just wanted to know if the MH lamp comes in different spectrum or if there only is one designed for the lamp, so if you use MH lamps, you would have to use HPS lamps for flowering?

Unless you can get MH lamps with 2700k spectrum? Which i assume the HPS bulbs has?

4. To answer your question, it depends.

If you are using a non-enhanced MH/HPS the spectrum will be limited to 6000K/2200K more or less.

Using enhanced spectrum bulbs adds more 2200K/6000K to give you a fuller spectrum.

Either way, it's recommended to use MH for veg and HPS for flower.

If you had to use one or the other, use an enhanced spectrum HPS.

5. MH is really only good for the veg stage and not even the best at that. From what I know you cant get a MH light that has light in the red spectrum. But their are now dual bulbs that you can get that have a small MH and regular HPS together in one bulb. That might be what you are wanting to know. Both spectrums covered in that case. You can also go with 2700k CFL's. They are easy to find and relatively cheap. You can even get the CFL grow lights in the different spectrums up to 300w which is bright as can be.

6. As friedguy said, there are bulbs with a fuller spectrum, but to optimize each phase of the plant's growth you will want MH for veg and HPS for flower.

Make sure you have a ballast that can handle both, otherwise you will need to get one conversion bulb and those are pricey.