Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

lighting with hemp

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by silentbob182, Mar 17, 2012.

1. iv noticed alot of bics wrapped around lighters like in the pic so i reaserched it a lil bit and supposedly it makes the hit less harsh and taste better. is that truee? i dont trust the media. and does it have to be legit hemp WICK. because i have a shit load of hemp used for like making necklaces with out the waxy shit on it. does it really have to be the wick, dies it make a difference?

no hate ik im stupid

Attached Files:

2. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I have heard that it tastes alot better than butane. I would only burn hemp that's made for it, since you never know if they add chemicals or some kind of shit like that to other things.

3. Some people claim the butane in lighters ruins the flavor. If you have really dank weed you might need to worry about it but with mids or lower I wouldnt worry about it. It's not going to affect the high.

4. Oh and also if you do decide to try using hemp rope; don't use anything treated. I'm almost sure the jewelry rope is treated with some god awful chemical.

5. Industrial hemp is not the same as organic hemp. Plus the Hemp Wicks are covered in bees wax. Don't smoke the wrong hemp.

It does preserve the flavor a bit, that is true. I usually use it for lighting blunts/joints. That's why many other dudes light nice cigars using wooden matches. Butane and other lighter fluids ruin the particular flavor. Bowls are ok too, you can notice a difference where it tastes a little cleaner but it isn't a necessity. This is for mostly herb lovers, people thT have to have everything, or people who really care about health and smoking.

6. [quote name='"silentbob182"']iv noticed alot of bics wrapped around lighters like in the pic so i reaserched it a lil bit and supposedly it makes the hit less harsh and taste better. is that truee? i dont trust the media. and does it have to be legit hemp WICK. because i have a shit load of hemp used for like making necklaces with out the waxy shit on it. does it really have to be the wick, dies it make a difference?

no hate ik im stupid[/quote]

Alternate ways of lighting:

Hemp Wick - you light some hemp covered in beeswax to light your bud. This method will greatly improve the taste of your herb, and will also make it so you aren't inhaling impure or incompletely combusted butane. The health increase of this is minor, and is mainly for the taste. The flame, while still an open flame (compared to methods further down this list) will burn at a lower temperature, which will also be slightly beneficial.

Torch Lighter - wind resistant, and a very complete combustion, this is a surprisingly healthy method. One can control the heat by using the torch lighter at a distance. However this method is still quite hot.

Glass Wand - Using a torch to heat up the tip of a glass wand, to then use to combust your herb, is an absolutely fantastic method. You get WAY better taste than either with Hemp Wick or with a Torch lighter, and due to the much lower temperature, you actually get higher off your weed! It doesn't destroy as much THC/CBD as combustion with an open flame does. However having a torch and glass rod around can be a bit more of a hassle than other methods.

Soldering Iron - This method is similar to the glass rod. An exposed ceramic heating element will get very hot, and you can use this to combust your herb. It will taste very similarly to a glass wand, which is far better than even hemp wick or torch lighter. It has very little hassle, as it just requires being plugged in. Another advantage of this method is that unlike a glass wand, it will stay hot, and vaporizing is very possible with it.

Solar Toking - Using a magnifying glass with the sun is one of the most natural ways to combust your herb. Similar to the way one would burn ants as a kid, you can get excellent taste due to the lack of butane and an open flame. The lower temperature, similar to both the soldering iron and glass wand, will also result in you getting higher off the same amount of herb.

If Hempwick is something that interests you - check out Humboldt Hempwick, it's what I have and I highly recommend it.

7. I like to use the humbolt wick and sometimes I use some thick beeline when I play disc golf if theres some wind. you def want a waxed piece of some good hemp because the wax makes the whole deal burn cleaner and less smokey, IMO

8. A guy on here is starting a organic wick business and is sending out free samples I got mine and...it's awesome my hits are smoother and the taste is delicious

9. I use hempwick and it really does make the hit taste better, also I think it makes the bowl last longer because you don't torch it as much.

10. Below is just a post from a similar recent thread, that explains a bit of what you wanted to know, mainly about why you should avoid using jewelry/craft hemp which isn't made explicitly for smoking, it should also answer some questions you may have been thinking (or you're about to think of) but didn't ask yet. :)

Bear in mind, the thread this came from had questions about different waxes, as well...

-------------------

Beeswax, and the paraffin, candle, and other waxes you may find around your house are entirely different substances, with entirely different compositions. It's unhealthy just to sit in a room with poor circulation with a candle burning for too long, their waxes are not meant to light your bowls.
    Most 'waxes' you'll find in candles, even without treatment or scents, in their purest forms, have been connected with lipid or lipoid pneumonia, lung scarring, and permanently reduced lung function and even cancers upon exposure or inhalation, while beeswax in the same scenarios, has been found to cause none of the above, only irritation has been noted when over-exposed.

And unless your hemp cord is organic, from a reputable company or a trusted local source, and hasn't been bleached, you shouldn't be burning and inhaling it.. you'd unfortunately probably be healthier with a lighter, than all the hemp rope you can find in Wal-Mart and most craft stores.
    Between inferior wax, and inferior and mistreated hemp, it's why some brands of 'hemp wick' don't taste quite as nice as the originals... the company 'Beeline' actually accepts returns for all major knock-off varieties, and will replace their competitors products for you free of charge!

Hemp rope is not a food item, legally the manufacturer and distributors are not required to disclose on the package, or in some cases even share at request, what chemical treatments they use while stripping and processing the plant matter... some people who smoke cannabis heavily and can tolerate local hemps, are allergic to and suffer irritation from MANY store-bought hemp twines/ropes for this reason. You also need to keep in mind this hemp has not been stored in food-safe containers, or food grade conditions, meaning it's picked up additional contaminants, even besides those used for processing, along the way.
    Topical and oral toxicity, and the potential for harm is much lower with simple contact, than with inhalation.

If you can't afford $18 for 200 feet of the real-deal, why not find some organic comb honey, enjoy the honey, save your comb, and set aside a few nice stems (water-wash them with RO water, first!) to make your own? [​IMG]
    We used to make our own all the time, although lately I've just been grabbing beeline.. I always run out before I have a chance to make more, and I don't resort to lighters, and I prefer wick to my glass wands and solderers.

[​IMG]

A good net-friend sent me my last ball... I always grab the 'thick wick' when I can; it's only a dollar more than their original, and it can be split. Then you suddenly have a 400 foot ball, or twice the amount for the price of one! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. #12 CSterbz, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
    [quote name='"BadKittySmiles"']Below is just a post from a similar recent thread, that explains a bit of what you wanted to know, mainly about why you should avoid using jewelry/craft hemp which isn't made explicitly for smoking, it should also answer some questions you may have been thinking (or you're about to think of) but didn't ask yet. :)

Bear in mind, the thread this came from had questions about different waxes, as well...

-------------------

Beeswax, and the paraffin, candle, and other waxes you may find around your house are entirely different substances, with entirely different compositions. It's unhealthy just to sit in a room with poor circulation with a candle burning for too long, their waxes are not meant to light your bowls.
    Most 'waxes' you'll find in candles, even without treatment or scents, in their purest forms, have been connected with lipid or lipoid pneumonia, lung scarring, and permanently reduced lung function and even cancers upon exposure or inhalation, while beeswax in the same scenarios, has been found to cause none of the above, only irritation has been noted when over-exposed.

And unless your hemp cord is organic, from a reputable company or a trusted local source, and hasn't been bleached, you shouldn't be burning and inhaling it.. you'd unfortunately probably be healthier with a lighter, than all the hemp rope you can find in Wal-Mart and most craft stores.
    Between inferior wax, and inferior and mistreated hemp, it's why some brands of 'hemp wick' don't taste quite as nice as the originals... the company 'Beeline' actually accepts returns for all major knock-off varieties, and will replace their competitors products for you free of charge!

Hemp rope is not a food item, legally the manufacturer and distributors are not required to disclose on the package, or in some cases even share at request, what chemical treatments they use while stripping and processing the plant matter... some people who smoke cannabis heavily and can tolerate local hemps, are allergic to and suffer irritation from MANY store-bought hemp twines/ropes for this reason. You also need to keep in mind this hemp has not been stored in food-safe containers, or food grade conditions, meaning it's picked up additional contaminants, even besides those used for processing, along the way.
    Topical and oral toxicity, and the potential for harm is much lower with simple contact, than with inhalation.

If you can't afford $18 for 200 feet of the real-deal, why not find some organic comb honey, enjoy the honey, save your comb, and set aside a few nice stems (water-wash them with RO water, first!) to make your own?
    We used to make our own all the time, although lately I've just been grabbing beeline.. I always run out before I have a chance to make more, and I don't resort to lighters, and I prefer wick to my glass wands and solderers.

A good net-friend sent me my last ball... I always grab the 'thick wick' when I can; it's only a dollar more than their original, and it can be split. Then you suddenly have a 400 foot ball, or twice the amount for the price of one!

[/quote]

Badkitty why are you so amazing?

Also i'd like a free sample of that organic stuff too..... Lol

12. If you used regular hemp it would burn way too fast. Just go buy actual hemp wick, it's what it was made for, therefore the best for the job.

13. People above pretty much answered your question but i like it because it's easier to light the bowl and not get burned compared to a lighter.

14. dont be a cheapo, just go to your local headshop and buy the hemp wick. it makes a huge difference, the temp of the flame is lower so you dont incinerate your dank , you draaaaaag it out

15. I make my own hemp wick. Love it and tastes better then butane.