Lighting with CFL's

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Buzzedupsnowman, Sep 3, 2011.

1. I have a question on indoor lighting.

I currently have 6 clones that were transplanted last week into 10L buckets. The fixture I have above them is a rubbermaid lid, roughly 4.16 sq. ft., with 4 23W/100W equivalent CFL's attached. Each one of these bulbs is a daylight spectrum and puts out 6500K and about 1850 lumens.

So given the area and the intensity of the bulbs, am I find with just 4 of these bulbs?

I was planning on putting in another two that way it would be roughly 2668 lumens per square foot.

I also have the fixture hanging 3-5" above the tops of the clones, some of which are shorter or taller than others.

Thanks.

2. I would really appreciate some help with this...

3. #4 oggestaden, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    shit man, i really don't know.. planning on make a rig similar to this one and it will put out like 150 watts, but if you can lay your hands on a few more lights it would be great! and as the clones gets used to the light you should drop the lights down to 1-2 inches from the tops, because the cfl's dont get very hot you should be fine with just a fan blowing between the lights and the plants. The more light the better. would be nice with a pic or something though :)

4. You'll want them a lot closer. I keep my CFLs in my trunk grow only about 1-2 inches Max. I keep them as close as possible and for the number of plants, I'd say you'd want a little more. I'd aim for at least 8 and if you position them right they can share bulbs and use less

5. Yeah i'd say get at least 2 more bulbs.. Do you have any reflective stuff around the plants? And just as oggestaden said, once they are growing good, lower the lights to 1-2 inches. Be careful during flower because they could and probably will grow into the lights.

6. the plants will grow best under 6500k when vegging, but for flowering you should consider to switch to 2700k ;)

7. #8 GaiaGuy, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    A couple more would be good for this stage.

Remember that CFL's produce more light from their sides than the tops, so try to have them slanted toward the plants as opposed to pointing directly down.

3-5" is too far for a 23watt CFLs. They need to be closer, because the absorbable spectrum does not travel very far. 2-3" is more standard (even for heavier wattage), some people do closer, like 1-2".

Have a fan pointed on them to help remove any heat buildup. CFLs don't produce a lot of heat, but they do produce some. The tiny leaves are sensitive right now and you can easily burn the tips/sides if it is too close/not ventilated property.

8. Hey Beefy, why keep them far now from the seedlings? I've always kept mine an inch from the light right from sprout. See? The bright white is the CFL above it

Attached Files:

9. In that picture I think the light is about 1/3 inch or so from the seedling and I'll be adding more soon. I wait until the second set if leaves come in and then add more wattage

10. nice man!! mine just got burned when i had them to close xD witch strain are you growing by the way?

11. Well the seed is a mystery club seed I'm growing for a fellow medical patient that doesn't know how to grow. Its my wifes friends mom and she had a stroke so she has her card now but she doesnt know how to grow and i showed her my plants and offered to grow it for her. Im going to take the whole plant wheh its ready for harvest and have her help me harvest it and dry it at her house. I have Grand Daddy Purps, Jilly Beans, and Sour Diesels for myself. Going to harvest couple Sour Diesels tonight I think

12. I have some mylar emergency blanket type of stuff. I'm going to get a grow tent soon.

Yup, I have them laying horizontal that way they get more light spread out. They are also in a sort of pattern that is kinda hard to explain. Almost like two L's with the second L facing the other light and positioned "upside down".

I'll have to borrow a camera or something.

13. Do NOT use an emergency blanket, they are not made for reflecting light, they are made for reflecting HEAT it can and WILL create hot spots that can and will burn ur babies!

14. I still need to get some Mylar for my closet and the trunk

15. Go with panda wrap if u can afford it, it diffuses light better and cuz it's not the mirror finish it won't make hot spots, plus its antimicrobial

16. Really? Wow! How much does it usually cost#?

17. My catalog has panda wrap a 10'X25' roll for $28 and it has orca film (same stuff basically but plus waterproof ) for 54"X25' for $60

18. Not too bad. Might have to wait until next month tho. Spent a lot on nutes and the light this month already

19. Haha for sure baby steps... Slow improvements