Lighting Setup (Please read)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zq8s10, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Okay, well, I was just wondering if this setup would work to get the plants up a little ways for my first actual grow, till I can get an hps, I have 2 48 inch fluoros that plug into the thing pictured below, and two cfls, pictured below too, heres what i want to know, can I put two plants under the 48 incher, with 3 cfls(pictured below) on each plant, placing each cfl bulb about mid ways from the plant around a foot away from it , and have the 2 48 inch bulbs hanging about 2 inches from the tops of the plants? .. will this work? so thats 2 48" bulbs hanging over 2 plants, (maybe 3 if I can) and 3 cfl's on each plant, the cfls say they use 15 watts of power and 950 lumnes, and I'll have 3 on each plant , and then the two 48" bulbs hanging across the top, will this work? .. If not I can afford to go buy an hps this weekend, but I found most of this stuff in the house and dont wan't to spend a lot of money on my very first grow, thanks for all help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It should work ok.... You might need some more light for the later half of the grow and flowering stages....
    Give it a go, if it works - - woo hoo

If not - live and learn and get a hps !

3. Okay, well I think i might just go to home depot and buy a 400w hps light, how much am I going to look to be spending on this , I heard around 150 bucks, also, does it come with the reflect shield and everything I need? ... Would it be best to get the plants sprouted and grew off of cfls for the first week? Im wanting to grow around 5 plants now , I was reading with the cfl's I could be looking to get around 25 grams off of each plant, but I also read the hps will get more, is this true? would it help to have the hps hooked up with a 48 inch floro running down each side of the plants, if I did it like that could I get an hps bulb with less watts, thanks for everyones help in advance

4. my plant reached 36 inches in height, vegging under 4 23W CFL's

5. Thats perfect for small plants.. You will need to add more later on but use the fluoros for seedlings or clones. Dont waste your money on something from home depot, most of the time the ballast is built right in with the lamp and get hot as hell. They are usually designed for poles or on buildings and kinda suck for growing, check out these links $100-$120 for a 400w HPS setup.

http://www.insidesun.com
    http://www.htgsupply.com