Lighting schedules?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by crazycraka, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Allrighty, just want to know about the lighting schedules for growing because apparently theres no guide that says when to change the lighting schedule.

So, I had my plants out in the sun for like a month then brought them in and started them at 24/0 and they were growing fine, until one day they just stopped growing.. I was confused so I switched the lighting to 20/4 and sure enough they started growing a bit.

I've heard people say to do 24/0 till flower. I've also heard 24/0 for only they first two weeks, then 18/6 till flower. I always thought that plants need to rest so I dunno how 24 hours of light for 50-60 days without rest would be a good thing. So what is the best lighting schedule because I have no idea.

2. Either way will work. What size pot is it in?

3. All the research I've done on this subject points to... it doesn't matter.

As long as they get at least 18 hrs a day and stay in veg.

You could do 18/6, 20/4, 22/2, 23/1, 24/0.

Doesn't matter.

The only things I saw arguing one way or another were opinions, or superstition. Many people don't like the 24/0 because it doesn't "mimic" nature. But scientifically I haven't seen anyone prove that one way or the other makes any difference.

I'm 24/0 right now, but will be switching to 18/6 soon, for electricity savings, and because the soil seems to be drying quite a bit quicker... and to give the bulb a rest :p

4. I believe that plants are best off if 24/7 is not used. Plants do different things during the dark period. Photosynthesis can only be done for so long each day. The glucose created must be utilized in a seperate phase of photosynthesis where light is not needed. The plant can only make so much before it needs to process it. Heres a lil info i dug up online. Everyone has their own opinion but biology majors know their chemical reaction :D

http://boards.cannabis.com/basic-growing/151905-18-6-vs-24-0-a.html
    I am a biology major currently taking a plant physiology course and I can tell you, at least according to my botanist professor, that plants will not benefit from the extra 6 hours of light in any meaningful way.

Their stomatic gas exchange occurs during the dark period and while they may induce this behavior during constant light anyhow, there is something they can NOT do in 24 hour light:

Their "dark" reactions!!!

A plant has 2 photosystems and both light and dark reactions!

The plant's electron transport chains will be active during light periods to "harvest" the light into chemical energy...

Now, this energy will be stored for use at night!

At night, the plant uses that stored energy for input into the Calivin Cycle!

The Calvin Cycle is the MOST IMPORTANT metabolic pathway in a plant and it finally can convert the chemical energy into useable sugars with the waste byproduct being O2.

Basically, 18/6 is really the only choice

*** 24/0 will allow for a forced Calvin Cycle, but the plant will need to expend MORE ATP and NAD+ to get the same singular glucose molecule... more work for same result = less vigor!

Fo' real.. let us put this to rest as Mother Nature is the best scientist there is!

Peace

5. This debate will rage on and on until the end of time. Most plants don't benefit from a 24/0 light cycle, but I believe that MJ is different. I know there is a name for this type of plant, but I can't recall what it is off of the top of my head. Sorry a little :smoke: right now.

Anyway, from what i understand, and I could be wrong, the only benefit to allowing MJ to "rest" for a few hours a day is increased root development. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but also is not necessary.

I personally always go 24/0. Just the way I do it. I am sure others have great results with 20/4 or 18/6, but I have just always used 24/0 and don't see any reason to stop. I really think it all comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. So, if you feel like 18/6 is better for your plants, then by all means go with 18/6 or whatever light schedule you feel best suits your needs. But, I don't think you are hurting the plants by going 24/0. And in fact may achieve better overall results.

Good luck.

6. I agree, just as different ppl will back different nutrient lines as the best and different types of lights as well. Its all preference, if we all grew the same exact way, watching other ppl's journals would be flat out boring. :smoke:

7. hm, i just switched my seedlings over to 18/6. But this is mainly so the soil won't dry out as much and to preserve my bulb/electricity a bit.

They have been thriving under 24/0 under the HPS for 3-4 days though!