Lighting questions - LED & MH

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by StickyGreenThumb, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Now u kept saying hps was done so well bc the green and yellow. All I’m pointing out is that is inaccurate, green and yellow are some of the two less useful specs to use for marijuana growing.

2. Weekend worrier there. And by weekend I mean a googler who reads a line or two under the link. Then bam. Knows it all. Jk jk

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Half that statment is about the electrical efficiency of R,G,B led diodes.

Also point 1 and 2 reference dozens of other science papers.

4. It's just sad to see someone put in effort just to spread false info rather than take advice from people that know what they're doing.

5. References from the 90s and early 00s don’t count lol. We have evolved a lot since then. But regardless of what ur links say it says. Green and yellow or the less Effective light for growing pot

6. Who is talking to who hear?

I'm just posting a few decent reads that have legitimate references; I didnt mean to start an argument as much to just share what i consider new information for alot of people.

7. I’m cool. Not arguing lol. Happy growing

8. We're trying to help you, not hinder you.

9. Just trying to get some clarification here, are you guys trying to say blurples are better than hps? Or are you saying blurples have a better spectrum? Are you saying green light is useless or just not as useful? Im just trying to understand before I say too much. Dont want to get anyone wrong here.

Conrad's QB Corner [Perpetual Grow]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I dont know what to say anymore. I have my opinions and I read about this stuff all the time and have for ages.

11. Lol. This topic went waaaay off subject. But we are talking about the green/yellow light spectrums.

If ur a good grower with good blurples u can equal or outperform hps, it’s been done by growers on here. But in general hps will outperform any blurples watts for watt. Even with the blurples u got. With a pretty flawless grow u can get a nice return

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gavita has a few good reads buried somewhere that talks about sodiums compared to leds.

13. I think what u r reading about and what u r implying are two different things. If we read the same-ish stuff. U woulda “read”that “extra”green light applies during vegging stage(not seedling) (extra meaning more then what’s naturally occurring in whatever light u r using) can increase growth rate during veg among other things IN VEG BUT and this is a big but if to much green spectrum is introduced into the spectrum then it can actually slow growth, among other things. It’s like uv light to increase thc. To much is bad, to little not good, just the right amount(may show increases in thc)

What ur implying is that hps push out so much green and yellow spec that it does so well when IN fact hps does so well in flowering bc the red and does ok in veg bc it has “enough” blue. The green in the hps May or may not help in veg. I can not answer that nor do I care but I do know that green and yellow IS NOT the main source of light of hps and does very little for it as far as what kinda buds it produces

14. Im no scientist, but everytime I compared bud grown by hps compared to blurples, the hps bud is almost always better. I think if you take skill out of it, like take the best grower on the planet and gave him both lights and optimal conditions, the full spectrum light will always produce better and more bud. Taking out any of the spectrum is never gonna make it better for plants. The sun isnt pushing out just red and blue light, plants have evolved over millions of years to soak in the suns light. It just makes sense. Im not gonna argue any specifics like you guys are getting into, but having a full spectrum light always wins when you remove skill as a factor.

15. #55 Deleted member 1086925, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
    I agree and disagree Lol. And I’ve argues ur same “thoughts”. Sun has put out this for how longs. Plants must need it to grow their best. NOT TRUE! Took me a bit to learn that tho. While full spec gives the plants stuff just an mh and or hps don’t don’t mean a full spec or even sun would grow better weed then an mh to hps grow. Plants really DONT need all the spectrums of light to thrive! The yellow and green spectrums do very little for growing marijuana indoors. UNLESS u have multi thousands of $ worth of equipment that reads all the spectrums and u can take every spectrum, mix it properly and supply it to the plants.... isn’t gonna happen lol. Also we wasn’t talking about which light is better or isn’t. Someone said the reason why hps does so well is bc how much green and yellow spectrum it has(bc green and yellow spectrum are so important in marijuana growth). I was just telling him that was inaccurate, That hps is so good bc the green and yellow spectrums in the light. I was telling him those are one of the two most useless spectrums for growing Marijuana. That green light is actually used to work on plants during lights out and the plant does not rly absorb it well.. same with yellow I’d guess. But thanks for ur input! Also worth mentioning. Blurples off Amazon are not gonna grow better weed then mh to hps grows! It’d take 2-4x the watts to equal the quality or quantity of an mh to hps grow. If u want BIG ASS FROSTY DENSE NUGS, most blurples are not gonna do that for u! They will veg well for u then throw out some small nugs. I have two NICE full spec leds I spent 350$ each on. My qb have pushed out bigger plants and I’m on my first grow with qb

16. Although I still disagree that the plant doesnt use all of the spectrum, I get what you are talking about now. I use QBs. HPS is way too hot and poor spectrum in comparison and what you said about blurples is all true, they can veg a plant but they are terrible in flowering, which I would be interested in you explaining how that works actually. Let me frame that as a question, If plants only need blue and red, then how do you explain full spectrum lights (qb/cmh/hps/mh even, basically everything full spectrum) consistently outperforming blue/red lights, even the higher end ones? I dont mean to continue the argument, just very curious what your line of thinking is here? What is the blue/red light missing if not the rest of the spectrum that causes it to perform poorly. Its not wattage, ive seen similar wattage grows and they never compare to full spectrum.

17. I am by no means an expert. A lot is off what I’ve seen and or seen/done and then reading everything while trying to make a decision on lights. With blurples they say one watt and draw less then half to 1/3. They use 10w shitty diodes and run 2w through each of them. While good ones like qb use 3w diodes and run a watt or so through them. Best guess with cheap blurples is they spend to much time trying to throw to many spec diodes in them instead of working on the main spectrums the plants need(could be way off there) and the cheap diodes don’t put off quality light. I think if you bought top of the line full spec leds they would do amazing. Tbone done very well with cheap and high end mars hydro leds! I think the internet is flooded with shit full spec leds the few good ones out there get bad reps bc of it. Then they are soooo much $ ppl can’t afford them. I’m also not saying plants only need blue and red. Those are just the two main specs(it that’s all we could make artificially would work good) Think of outside growing. Spring is nice bright clear/blue light. Then fall/flower time rolls around and it’s more in the red spectrum end. The sun is feeding the earth. Everything on the earth needs a lil different light/food to survive. Some more then others. So not all the light put off by the sun is useful to everyone/thing on planet earth n the same ways. So a certain blend of light might grow one plant AMAZINGLY but if u put a marijuana plant under it it may do poorly or die. Good led company’s have done research and make leds to hit all the sweet spots that marijuana needs to grow well. Other specs of light naturally occurs but are not focused on(like green and yellow) bc they do little for marijuana growth. Unless applied with precisely right amounts... which in most cases wouldn’t be worth the effort.

U can literally buy led grow bulbs that are straigh blue for veg and straight red for flowering.

I do agree a perfectly designed full spec led designed to grow marijuana would out perform mh or hps. But I would bet the two switches veg to flower still focus on mainly blue for veg and red for flowering

Sorry I can’t bust out some Scientific evidence lol. Just stuff I’ve picked up on through reading and observation over the years

18. I can agree alot more with what you said and wouldnt mind seeing whats really behind it all. But we all know for right now, qbs be blowing the blurples away, mars hydro are nice but still a bit behind the qbs. I cant speak too much on other lighting myself anymore cause I dont use any of the current tech for the other lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #59 StickyGreenThumb, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    I think I may have found a better solution than running the existing MH bulb in flower. Found HPS to MH conversion bulbs, allowing me to run a 220w HPS in my MH ballast. It’s a 2000k bulb, so has much better spectrum for flower, and should do a decent job flanked by my 2 LEDs. I’m only doing 2 autos at a time, so hopefully that’s sufficient... I’m interested to see how it works!

*Edit - here's a link to the bulb

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 2000k spec 250w hps should push out some nice colas... I think imma save up n try to get the 2700k qb288v1 n see if the do better then 3000k