Lighting questions - LED & MH

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by StickyGreenThumb, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Guess you never used hps to flower then..

2. There really is a lot more to lighting than simply MH for veg and HPS for flower

• Like Like x 1
  3. Can you answer the question?

4. Reread my post. I said I used HPS from seed to harvest, that would include flowering

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oh sorry. I meant: "guess you never vegged with mh"

6. Granted if I had to use one or the other for the entire grow, I would pick hps. But makes the plant stretch a lot more in veg.

7. Which one? I answered your question. I used one light from seed to harvest. A HPS
    If I had wanted to use an MH I could have but I chose not to.
    I'm not sure how much plainer I can make it

8. #28 Smokey B McBongwater, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Yes it can

9. Hey, we all have strong opinions about our lighting but the point of this thread (for me) is TO NOT encourage black and white thinking when it come to choosing a light.

The plants themselves adapt to specific lighting, its just how they work. Thats why you see different responses.

A big advantage sodiums have over metal halide is they DO produce more light per watt. Spectrum is less important than pure force. That is why sodiums work so well; they pump out alot of light. Alot of yellow and green light.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have all sorts of lights, have many hundreds of dollars worth just sitting boxed up in the closet. I have plenty of experience using all of them. I know very well what I'm talking about.

11. Lol green again. Green in sodium lights has nothing to do with how well it works! Think about this..... what color light do they say to use IF you must work on plants during lights out?!?..... I’m assuming u yelled GREEN!!! So why would u think the green spec in hps would be a big factor in how well it works?

12. Show me the science behind that.

13. 3F3D7A90-37FD-4F75-A328-C9D29F0DB492.jpeg Here is a chart of the most useful light spectrum for veg and flowering. I’m not trying to argue with u or prove u wrong. I’m trying to help stop u from spreading bad info

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Spend more then 10 min researching growing and u can find that urself! And def stop listening to whoever is telling u that about green and yellow spec.... blue=veg red=flowering. Everything else is just “extra” I’ve spent months upon month reading b4 I got first thing to grow. If ur unable to find this info on ur own I’ll take 5 min out of my life to SS some stuff u shoulda been able to find on ur own and post it here for u

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lmk if u need more Info on the subject 7C416163-FF52-444A-B70A-996F28C5EB02.jpeg 7A86039C-7A51-459C-A060-42A899646A56.jpeg 8F680555-D6C1-4EF6-ABD0-B6B8B988A174.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. I’m only semi experienced but something u learn right away is blue/red specs... I have read the right amount of green spectrum applied during veg can increase growth rate but at same time to much can slow it.. I don’t mess with it or trying to add uv. At some point qb will apply these things for us in the boards if it proves to be beneficial .. It was super off topic anyways lol. I just kept seen a comment about the green and yellow being why hps was did so good ... was definitely a head scratcher lol

Attached Files:

17. One, the first two reads are by same guy... and 2011. Come one!

2!! And a BIG TWO. This is copy and paste from third

Photons of green light have been labeled as less effective than blue or red photons for plant growth applications because of the small dip in the relative quantum efficiency curve or because of the low absorption of green light by the two types of chlorophyll

18. There are three primary reasons for this: 1) red and blue LEDs are more efficient than green LEDs at converting electricity into photons, 2) red and blue photons are often considered the most effective at stimulating photosynthesis on an instantaneous, single-leaf basis (see relative quantum efficiency curve, Figure 1), and 3) green light is poorly absorbed by the two types of chlorophyll when extracted in solution (also in Figure 1)

Info from your own link. I suggest reading next time

• Like Like x 1