Lighting questions - LED & MH

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by StickyGreenThumb, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Hi all, getting started in my first non-micro grow and looking for some opinions on running a MH light with 2 LED lights I already have.

I have 2 x 450 “watt” Viparspectras (reflector series w/ veg & bloom switches) already because I start my peppers off in the basement before I transplant into the garden outside. Figured I’d give them a go with cannabis, although I know these LED lights have a reputation for producing lower yield/less dense buds.

I also have 1 - 250w MH setup with a 4200k bulb, was given to me by my inlaws.

I am going to be doing 2 auto plants at a time, one under each Vipar 450 (which are actually about 200w at the wall). I’m not overly familiar with MH other than some google reading.... any advantage to running it in conjunction with my 2 Vipar lights for flower? Doesn’t look like you can get MH bulbs in a flowering spectrum, but wondering if it would add any positives to the flowering stage. Down the road, might look at QBs or CMH instead, but interested in seeing what I can do with this.

2. I will tell you right now the two together are guaranteed to preform much better than two of either or; the spectrums complement each other very well.

The MH has "stuff" most leds (even QB) dont have; and vice versa.

I had a guy run 2 x 1000 HPS on the left, 600 watts Samsung Leds in center, and 2 x 1000 MH to the right in a 12'x12' room. The plants under the HPS clawed amd turned yellow; the plamts under the MH were perky and green; and the plants in the center were best. Shorter, thicker stalks, more branches.
    Sodium side had less branches, longer node length. Even some plants we're half yellow, half green
    MH were similar to HPS but closer nodes; bigger leaves.

And about the buds; I dont recall enough of a difference other than the plants on MH and in center had more fragrance.

Hope that is helpful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Why are you comparing mh and hps when they are each for different stages?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Its so much more complicated than just different colored lights for different stages is why.

The more complete the spectrum; the better is my end point.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Great, thanks for the feedback folks. I thought it might provide some benefit, including getting more light to the plants in flower. If I can pull off a decent yield, I can divert some $ to a better light for flowering. Looking forward to getting this grow underway!

6. But you used hps for veg.. and mh for flowering. It proved nothing.

7. Makes sense my would put off more uv which would stress plant and cause it to produce for trichomes to protect leaves. Which would cause more terms/smells

8. high-pressure-sodium-spectrum.jpg
    metal-halide-spectrum.jpg

All in all; you can see home much a sodium is missing. But they still work because of brute force in the green/yellow spectrum. The green/yellow spectrum supposedly contributes to some important functions related to cell growth.

Also note the term "relative spectrum."
    This means how they relate to each other; not a exact comparison I believe. But I have not found a definite amswer to that question either.

9. We ran HPS, MH, and LED in the same room start to finish. 4000 watts of HID and 600 watts of Samsung led in center. In a 12' x 12' room from start to finish. I Will check to see what I said that led to that misunderstanding.

Edit: looks like I did not specify any sort of particular stage so im not sure what you read to determine we changed the lights for different stages. @Pistils

10. Green and yellow are the two least important spectrums when growing. Blue spectrum promotes veg growth while the other end(red) is more for the fruiting/flowering part of the growth cycle. What is ur grow space? If ur able I’d think of maybe veggin two plants under ur MH with the leds as side lighting, if have the space. When u flip 12/12 I would use all three the first 2-3 weeks then turn off MH until the last week then turn it back on

11. I'm am not the thread owner; I just offered some advice and gave a recent report a different grower gave to me for an opinion on what he observed because it seemed relative.

I personally run a local led brand that is baicly QB but with their own designs and stuff.

12. that was more to OP. Lol. The questions and stuff. What’s ur companies website tho. I’ll check it out

13. I'm aware that he used them all the way through the grow, that's the problem. Why would anyone veg with a hps? Why would anyone flower with a mh?

14. I feel I have posted enough information for people to develop their own opinions or look into the topic themselves if they wish to understand more. I personally just lecture what I read and have debated with friends on what we see in our plants. I'm not certified for grow light consulting or anything.

Your opinions are yours to own, but many use both HPS and MH for both stages to reap the benifits of both kinds of light.

@Multi_Strain_Grow

The company is Far-North Lighting.
    They dont really have a website up because they really have just been a local buisness; but you can find them on Facebook. The guy will chat your ear off about lighting and ECT and is down to earth so far.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I used to use a hps from seed to harvest

• Like Like x 1
  16. Is it because a mh wasn't available?

(During veg)

17. No, it was available

18. Guess you learned it's a bad choice?

19. (To veg with hps/flower with mh) I mean.

20. Not at all