lighting question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JohnD0e, May 14, 2010.

1. When my plant isn't flowering, and I'm starting some babies (waiting for them to pop up still)
    should I be doing 24/7 lighting? I've heard this can be bad but I kind of want these things to sprout.

2. If the light is too close it might be bad. I still have issues when starting seeds. I would like to say for certain that when you notice the soil raise up, but the sprout is still under the soil to raise the lights an inch or to to force the sprout to reach for the Sun.

The other thing, if you are flowering and starting seeds in same area, you have no choice but to go 12/12 or the flowering plant will not continue flowering.

3. o alright, good info. glad i didnt do that or my other plant would be goin slower

4. I usually use 24/7 until the plants get around three nodes(2-3 weeks)then change to 18/6. I think a little rest is good and not to stress your plants while young.

5. 24/7 is fine. Put whatever it/they are in under the light and let it do it's thing. Keep the soil moist but not soaked. until it sprouts. Then water whenever the top 1 or 2 inches of soil feels dry. It won't hurt it to be under the light before it sprouts. Flouro's and cfl's you can have them 1 or 2 inches away. Now if you using an hps you won't want ti to be that close cause of the heat.

6. Yes I agree with this too. However I did mine 24/7 for about 5 weeks and then flipped to 12/12. Either way works. Personal preference really all it is.

7. thanks cola and skunk. both good info, im just gunna move my bigger plant out somewhere else when it gets to 12 hours under light.

8. and i have one more question for whoever has an answer, Is it possible to make your plant bushier? like some of the photos I see on here have 3 stems it looks like, maybe i just dont know what I'm talking about though. this will be my first real grow

9. What kind of light are you using?

To get bushy and not stretch you want your light close. The farther away it is the more stretch your going to get. Also you may be looking at ones that have been topped, LST'd, or both. Go look in the advanced growing thread to read more about those. Especially the stickies in the thread.

10. ty again skunky. checkin it right meow