Lighting question...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tobymac420, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hey guys so i come to you with a question after doing some math. I have been thinking about switching to CFL for a couple grows to see how it would work out. I am thinking of getting 3 CFL that would equal 650 watts in both spectrums here they are in 6500k...
    42-Watt (200W) Daylight Twist CFL Light Bulb-ESL40TN/D at The Home Depot
    68-Watt (300W) Soft White CFL Light Bulb--DISCONTINUED-28968RP at The Home Depot

My question is I run a 400 watt mh/hps. Will i get anywhere near the same results. The 400 watt mh/hps kills me in electric cost because I live in a house with old wiring so YIKES! It will be growing in a 8 foot by 4 foot area. Im thinking about 4-5 plants. One will be for hash oil only. Give me some of your feedback oh powerful city. I know ive asked similar questions but i need a change and im thinking this much CFL should do the trick. PS i need a semi cheap alternative atm hints CFL instead of LED or new light.

2. Got rid of the 150 because its the same watts as the 200. So make that 2 200 watt CFL and a 300. So 700 watts of cfl all together. I know its not actual watts just eqv.

3. The 400 watt is best but, you can grow with cfl's and accomplish a decent grow for personnel use....
    Cfl's do not penetrate as well as hid and is why you need to keep them 2-4" from the plants. Lower buds especially will be airy and with little density. I would recommend doing some topping and lst to acquire an even canopy for better light penetration into the canopy and overall better yield.
    The rule is 100 actual watts for one plant and 50 watts for each additional plant
    Use actual watts and not the equivalent.
    For your 4 plants that equates to 250 actual watts of cfl and more watts(lumens)would definitely be better....