Lighting question? Help/ayuda

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by imagrower, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Hey stoners, i have a couple of questions. Ive just started cultivating Cannibis (Indoors) for the first time about 2 months ago using CFL. Unfortunately i left my babies out of the closet to water them when my dog decided to eat them. -_- So now ive decided to start stronger and better. Ive got a grow tent in which im about to purchase and ive already purchased my online seeds. (Attitude) =p. My question is, what type of lighting should i go for. Im not trying to cultivate too many plants, I would say 5 at the most and im trying to do it within average time using organic soil (Foxfarm). Should i go HPS? or remain CFL. How much more would my light bill go up if im running 18/6 for vegitation stage using HPS? Should i be worried about INFRARED lights dealing with the five o? Please help me out i have many unanswered questions yet i have all the materials and a safe and secure location to cultivate in. PLEASEEEE HELP!

2. I just bought a 400 Watt Hps with the cool down reflector and the 400 watt ballast. Pics will be up when the system is set up. right now its just in boxes. Another thing, i can still use an hps light for veg growth correct?

3. #3 biggg bassset, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
    Good stuff mate that's the same as what I got :) you won't be disappointed works great in veg

You could also run your old cfls alongside your hps to Improve you spectrum if you felt like it

4. #4 imagrower, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    yeah bro I just need to make sure I run ventilation correctly. and right now I have Cfls and the temp is at about 88-89 in which I think is very hott.

5. Cool man yeah the hps will pump out a fair bit of heat do you currently have any ventilation set up?
    I got a preety basic 100mm exhaust fan in my closet and I find the temps inside are still about 10 degrees C warmer then the outside temp

6. well no not at all. I'm actually going tomorrow to buy some ducting and maybe another fan. I do have one fan but i still have yet to set up my lights.

7. Sweet as dude get ya self sum sort of exhaust fan and ya should be fine, worst case scenario just leave the door open a little bit during lights on if that's possible

8. by exhaust you mean exhaust fan running out of the other cool down hole?

9. Sorry man I just saw you said you have a tent never grown In one of them but I'd imagine you would still need sumthing pulling out the hot air to keep the temps down

10. one quick question, how much more will my light bill be if im running 400 watt hps.

11. #11 ggerald, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Well, it depends on your cost of electricity.

I'll assume a higher-than-average $.10/kWh.

0.4 kilowatts x $.10/kwh x 24hrs x 30 days = $28.8/month