lighting question from the newb

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chase_d, Dec 6, 2006.

1. alright i have a couple of fish tanks and i was wondering if the lights from them would work for a plant. All my lights are 30-40 watt fluorescent lights. All i want to grow is 1 or 2 plants at a time just for me.

2. It can work, figure on using 100w of fluros per plant.

3. The fixtures might work depending on the type of bulbs they use (T12, T8, T5) but you'll probably want to use different bulbs.

4. Do you really need 100w per plant? My bud's been doing 60 or so, and it's fine so far. Then again, you're more experienced I'm sure, and he hasn't harvested yet..

5. For fluoro yeah 100w in flowering especially for any good results. Their light isn't intense so you gotta spread it out and keep it real close to the plant. For 1 plant, try CFL's. Cheap and effective. Read my guide below if you're interested.

6. Im still not sure im gonna do it but i was just kinda wondering since the bulbs are made to mimic the sun.

7. Im doing 155 of floro's per plant red and blue full spectrum, think im going overboard LOL thinking about adding a 70 watt UVB bulb:rolleyes:

8. What's the spectrum on the bulbs? Some aquarium bulbs wouldn't work as well as others.

Actinic, 50/50, and freshwater bulbs might work but I wouldn't use saltwater bulbs.

9. I didnt no i was gonna ask this question or i would have kept the boxes they came in, i no for sure that one is an actinic light, and i do have the 50/50 bulbs to. yes ther all flourescent. the only odd thing is that the fixtures and the lights are all 48in long. after some more reading ill probly wait till the summer and grow some outside. i just happend to look at the lights and i thought well ther like the sun i wonder if theyll work. kind of a dumb question.

10. Flourecent's can work. I'm doing my grow under fluros' right now. Eight 48" T8's for side lighting and three 21" 2G11 base bulbs for the canopy.

11. ok not to thread jack or anything but are there any other forms of lights that i could use other than floro cuz all ive got is a set of 48" ones and im only growing 1 plant at the moment which still needs to sprout. should i leave it outside and let nature take place or should i use a 120v with 60watts desk lamp in a box? my fear is having it over heat and kill the plant