lighting question? Ballast?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Panda85, Jun 29, 2011.

1. im looking at picking up a good size grow tent depending on what i can fit. im looking at, at least a 4x4x7 and possibly a 6x6x7. that being said im looking at a good light setup for it and wondering if anyone has used one of these ballasts or this one.. im looking at wanting to change the output and bulb for when i have smaller plants.

i just would like to know how much power these ballasts use even when lowering a 1000w hps down to 400 or 600 watts. i really like the idea its so versatile and can accommodate pretty much anything. i dont want to always be drawing an ass load of power, and be able to adjust if i have temperature problems and need more or less light.

anyone with experience with these ballasts, all info is appreciated.

2. I have two Lumatek Ballasts. I love them. I have 400w, switchable. The other Ballast I never heard of. I know that people that own a Lumatek love them. Always use more light than you think. If the numbers tell you al you need is 400w light, go up to a 600w. That is what I have found out so far.

3. well i know some ballasts say they are rated at like say 150 watts but the ballast draws 3 amps at 110v. that means that its actually drawing 330 watts to power the ballast and all that. so since this is going to be a 1000watt ballast, if i set it at 600w with a 1000watt hps bulb(to dim it) would it actually draw more power than a 600watt ballast and 600watt bulb(since the ballast is larger)?

i just dont have everything ready to cool a 1000watt at the moment but i am going to want a 1000watt eventually.

4. The Galaxy is awesome. I love being able to run different bulbs on one ballast - 1000w in the winter, 600 in spring/fall, 400 in peak summer. Makes ventilation that much easier.

Galaxy is also the only ballast recommend to use with powerbox relay boxes - thats why I bought mine.

5. #5 Panda85, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    yeh thats what i was also wanting to do. how does using a 400 watt bulb compare to a 1000watt bulb dimmed to 400watts? and have you ever payed attention to the power consumption from the galaxy switching from 1000w to 400w, compared to just a single 400watt ballast?

im leaning to the galaxy for sure because i like the fact it goes down to 400watts which will be perfect for summer and smaller plants. no need to waste electricity until you need it :p

6. I'm not sure how a 1000w bulb dimmed to 400w would compare to just a 400w bulb in terms of heat or light intensity - I just know it'll wear out the 1000w bulb faster. I haven't actually fired my galaxy up yet, this will be my first electronic/digital ballast.

I actually only recently received a type of kill-o-watt meter that I plan on testing once I fire mine up. Won't be using 1000w bulbs this time, 600's for me this time around.

7. yeh i kind of figured it would wear the bulb out faster, i was just wondering about light intensity, heat, and power consumption. but i guess ill just have to test it out. i plan on getting multiple bulbs though just incase of a burnout. probably one of each since im going to get a propetual grow going again.

For now i think im going to stick with the cfl's until i flower, so keep me updated on how much that thing draws, compared to what it is rated =]

8. I'll be flipping to 12/12 in about... 3 weeks? That's just a rough guesstimate. Going to be ordering a couple of 600w bulbs, I'll PM you the power draw of it when it's pulling 600 and when its turned down to 400 as well.