Lighting question 400w,600w or 2 x 400w HPS?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AMG, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Right, i have a flowering space of 1x1x2m. I am currently using 2x400w HPS for flowering but am wondering which would be best for the following setups.

9x plants grown in 10L pots

16 x plants grown in 10L (taller) pots

I currently FIM and LST and grow in soil. I know 9 and 16 pots means a lot of watering and potting but i seem to be getting good results with soil so far.

The options seem to be 1x400w, 2x400w, and 1x600w. Has anyone got any thoughts as to which would be better used, taking into account yields and energy bills?

I am currently growing NLxBB and am getting on average 1.5 to 2.5 oz under 2x400w's.

My head is scrambled and i cant decide what to do. I am thinbking of getting another 2 flowering tents and want to get as good a results as i can but considering energy and yields.

All opinions welcome, good and bad :D

2. Time to adopt a new method! 1.5 to 2 oz is way to small for even one 400w setup. Try growing 2-4 plants under each 400w light in 5 gal DWC buckets. This setup will require much less maintenance than the soil and you will potentially yield a pound per light with much less scruff. Let me know if you have any questions.

3. how long would i have to veg for doing it that way? Was trying to veg for 30 days before flowering.
    Obviously i am new to hydro if i go that way. Would Canna aqua be good to use as thats what i was thinking if went DWC.
    I could potentially set up a new room in addition to my current setup and try hydro, 1x1x2m, DWC. But what light would be best for this?

4. In a 1mx1mx2m room, I would use one 600w hps light. This will give you about 66 watts per square foot which is a good number to have. I would grow four plants giving each about a foot and a half of grow space. Veg the plants under the HPS bulb on 24/7 for about ten days and then switch to 12/12. So long as you keep the environment under control and enrich with CO2, this method could bring you up to 1.5 lbs per harvest.
    Let me know if you have any questions

Also, I have found both the Lucas formula and the complete 3D line to be great nutrient solutions for DWC, especially the 3D.