Lighting My Ash Catcher On Fire. Oppinions?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by bengali548, Apr 30, 2014.

1. #1 bengali548, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    Long story short I bought a new ash catcher and within 2 days the bottom is filled with green and black chunks that are stuck. I've tried cleaning with iso and salt and acetone and salt but these chunks won't be broken

So, my idea is to pour acetone into my ash catcher and light the chunks on fire by lighting the acetone on fire. Acetone burns hotter than isopropyl so it'll get the job done.

Before I proceed I wanted to know if anyone else has any ideas to remove the green and black chunks?

Please no opinionated answers. I'm an advocate of cleaning with acetone and giving a good rinse after (I know there's quite a debate on the subject)

2. #2 dankness420, Apr 30, 2014
    Sounds like you are making a bomb!

Try soaking it longer, run hot tapwater through your a/c, that will help loosen the res or whatever.  Try boiling your piece in a pot of water.

3. Well good luck with that.

Id just let it sit overnight in the ISO (91% or higher)

4. Don't forget salt, sea salt.

5. #5 bengali548, Apr 30, 2014
    I was able to remove all the rez in my bong. But one of my friends must be a vacuum cuz there's fresh weed that got pulled into a chamber (through suction) and can't get release which is why i wanted to smoke the chunks out by lighting them on fire

6. Hmm interesting. Will the sea salt dry the buds inside enough so that it'd crumble easily? If so that sounds like a much safer idea than my original

7. iso and salt is the classic cleaning combo for pieces and getting all but the scummiest of resin...shouldd work for you. table salt is good, but if you dont have any tricky percs, kosher salt is much bigger and slightly more abrasive.

8. #8 bengali548, Apr 30, 2014
    Read my post below

Attached Files:

9. This is my catcher on day of purchase. The weed is trapped below the honeycomb and can't reenter through the down stem

10. #10 T-o-W-e-R, Apr 30, 2014
    First of all,
    DO NOT PUT SOMETHING FLAMMABLE INTO YOUR PIECE AND SET IT ON FIRE!
    In all likelihood, it will blow the fuck up and you will catch shrapnel.
    Don't do it man.. this isn't a shot glass with 151 in it..

Second of all,
    Good luck coming to a forum and not getting opinionated answers..

I've read a thread before where someone had a fly stuck in his piece that he could not get out.
    Yes, a fly.
    Someone suggested putting drano or something like that to break it down, and I believe after a few days it worked. Seeing as how its only plant matter stuck in this case, it shouldn't be as challenging.
    That's what I would recommend, try to make it break down over time. Be patient.

11. salt works if your using rubbing alcohol, helps loosen up the resin.

12. its just gotta harden it to the surface of the glass further.

soak in simple green for 24-48 hours

do an isoprpyl+sea salt shake for an hour

rinse with hot steaming water+rigorous shaking

13. That's what you get for buying an ASH CATCHER that is hard to clean lol.

Sent from my MB886 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. If you put acetone in it and light it on fire, there's a good chance the temp change or the vapor will ignite and shatter the glass leaving you with a puddle of flaming acetone and shrapnel.

Wikipedia (why you didn't look this up first instead of coming to a stoner forum is beyond idiotic, don't mess with chemicals without checking out the safety data sheet)

"The most hazardous property of acetone is its extreme flammability. At temperatures greater than acetone's flash point of −20 C (−4 F), air mixtures of between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone, by volume, may explode or cause a flash fire. Vapors can flow along surfaces to distant ignition sources and flash back. Static discharge may also ignite acetone vapors, though acetone has a very high ignition initiation energy point and therefore accidental ignition is rare. Even pouring or spraying acetone over red-glowing coal will not ignite it, due to the high concentration of vapour and the cooling effect of evaporation of the liquid.<sup>[25]</sup> It auto-ignites at 465 C (869 F). Auto-ignition temperature is also dependent upon the exposure time, thus at some tests it is quoted as 525C. Also, industrial acetone is likely to contain a small amount of water which also inhibits ignition."

15. sea salt and 99%iso helps, unless you want to smoke it than try getting it out with a pin or something.

16. Why in gods name would you ever get an ash catch like that? You will never get that thing totally spotless...

Definitely don't pour acetone and light it on fire! Are you doing long soaks or shaking to agitate?

Try a long soak in some concentrated Simple green.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Solution: glass screens, never failed me !

18. .....to prevent the same situation with a more expensive bong?

19. Pour a bunch of sea salt inside and put it in a pot filled with scorching hot water (to ease the temperature change when you put it on the stove)... add salt to that water and just let that bitch boil til it breaks down. 

20. Dudes rocking a Cheech ash catch, I'm sure it's attached to peyote pillar...

Obviously it's to keep the piece clean, but the design alone defeats the purpose...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app