lighting hydroponics query

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by falinx, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

just planning my next grow and was wondering, if I'm using cfl's (planning on 2 125w, actual watts not rated) and diamond mylar, will I still nee the lights very close to the plants or will the 97% reflection feed them just fine?

2. You need them very close to the plants. CFL's are terrible at converting energy into usable light - 125w of CFL produces less lumens than a 100w HPS for instance. Even with a 100w HPS though, you still want that very close to the plants due to the inverse square law.

3. I keep mine within 2 inches of the plants, just keep a fan blowing and you can keep them about an inch away, just be careful not to let them get burned too much. It does happen with cfls.

4. so it sounds like hps is more the way to go. If I do a pc grow box is that still an option. I read that in enclosed spaces the hps produces too much heat?

5. They make small wattage HPS. CMH (Ceramic Metal Halide - runs on HPS ballast) would be a better option if they make small wattage bulbs as they produce less heat.

In a PC though, I'd probably opt for PLL lighting. It's a type of CFL that uses a 4-pin (I think) socket. It's kinda like a T5 tube but bent in half. I'd measure the PC case, subtract a few inches for the socket assembly and get the highest wattage PLL bulb I could fit in the PC. I'd just stuff as many in there as I could across the top, depending on the PC case, 3 or 4 should fit.

This one is about 13" long, so if your PC case is say 16" long you should be able to fit this. 24w 6500k for veg: http://1000bulbs.com/product/59536/FC24-DT2465RS.html

Also 13" long this one is 27w @ 3000k for flower: http://1000bulbs.com/product/54434/FC27-G27045.html

Maybe just scoop up 2 flower bulbs an 1 veg bulb. Run the veg bulb for the seedling and very brief veg period, and then add the 2 flower bulbs so you'll have some mixed spectrum for flowering.

You'll need 2g11 sockets and a ballast as well, but both are pretty cheap.

6. tnx for the info highonthehill. I was just wondering though... 1 vegging light... only 24 watts? Isn't that extremely low even for the vegging stage (my last vegging stage lasted until they sexed). How long should I be vegging them for? Also I thought 6500k spectrum was only ever for vegging, neverflowering? Btw this isn't exactly going to be a small case, FRACTAL DESIGN buy at the cheapest price, best deals, online shop - Ireland This is the one I'm looking at.

7. Well in PC you don't really get a chance to veg them out. 24w is plenty for seedlings. Grab 2 of 'em if you're more comfortable doing that, it'll keep them from stretching so much - definitely something you want to avoid in a PC.

Also, for flowering, mixed spectrum is the way to go. You'll notice that nearly all large scale growers use a mix of HPS and MH in flowering. I'd personally run the bulbs as I stated in my last post for flower. The extra blue should help during the 2-week stretch once you flip to 12/12.

Running all 3000k for flowering won't hurt though.

Also for that size of case, go with the 36w bulbs, they're 16" long and will fit that case perfectly.

8. tnx again. Just been looking for that type of V reflector though but the case is only 23cm wide and the reflectors I see are all a minimum of 38cm wide. I see now why people stick to the less affective cfl bulbs in smaller area like this. If I can't buy something directly like this I'm not exactly a handy man and don't have a workshop with powertools. Is there something you could even suggest I do? I've seen baking tins used and cut up in creative ways maybe that V shape is "a bridge too far" in that case. Excellent to know about the spectrums though, so basically you're going to use an overpowering 2700k spectrum with a subtle 6500k mixed in for best results?

9. Check a hardware store, I found a roll of some sheet metal that came in a variety of widths and lengths. I picked up some stuff that was white on one side and brown on the other to make a reflector for my DIY cool tubes.

You'll need a jigsaw or something to cut it to size though.

10. #10 falinx, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
    tnx. jigsaw... ummmm all I can see is me is paramedics wondering where my limb is if I try that :). I'm trying to figure it all out, so many options now the more I read. I think hydroponics may not be the way to go though. Some times I get called away for work for like up to 3 days at a time at the drop of a hat. From what I read you have to keep an eye on the plants so carefully hydro. coco is also an option but also requires a heavy watering routine. So it looks like soil wins strictly on the grounds the holds the moisture the longest and is easy enough to grow in.

I'm thinking maybe I should just approach a metal shop for my V reflect and just give them the dimensions I need. Don't think they would charge too much. Just gotta say though that I really want to grow in pll's just on the fact alone that they look like light sabers :). They have decent canopy penetration due to their length though. Was reading that guys posts about the reflectors and it seems even though he using low watts he was struggling with the total heat from the bulbs. Would perspex do in that situation to reflect the heat or would it also stop beneficial rays from getting through?

11. Eh, if the top of the PC is lined with reflective material, that'll work decent enough. I imagine you could just as easily rig up the angles you want with some thin pieces of plywood or something and line it with mylar.

Soil is definitely the way to go when it comes to being called away for a decent amount of time. You want want to invest in a water globe type thing for those instances because you won't be able to fit large containers in there, and so they'll dry out fast either way.

12. When you are talking about the lighting in a hydroponic garden then i am sure about the fluorescent light. They are the best in the market available and better then all the other light even the leds too.