Lighting Help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ohnoitishorribl, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I have a s51 400 watt HPS bulb and ballast, but no reflector hood. the room is 8x12 feet.

What would be the best way to reflect the light? I've considered plastic sheeting covered in Mylar or Foylon. Would white sheets work? I'm looking for the most cost-effective way to go about this.

2. I wouldn't use plastic. If you don't want to buy one get a thin piece of sheet aluminum and make your own for $3. Not hard at all with a pair of tin snips and a drill.

3. exactly, and if you need it to be concave to a degree, bend with straight lines, so the light reflects where you want it.

just curious...are you using the whole 8x12 space with a 400 watt hps?

4. Well, I was thinking about trying to resize the room to 6x6 using plastic tarping. I have a room in my attic that is perfect for a grow in terms of secrecy. It just seems a bit big.

5. This is a rough sketch of the dimensions of the room.

Attached Files:

6. mk. the only thing i was thinking was that, thats a real stretch for a 8'x10' room. thats more a 1000 watt space. i always use more watts than i need. you should be able to pull off 6'x6'. i may be wrong but last tiem i looked on htgsupply.com i think they marketed the 400 watt hps at 3'x3' to 5'x5'. but thats marketing ya know.

7. dude what if someone bought a house, went into the basement, smashed a 3'x3' hole through the concrete foundation, and dug a hole down like 9 feet then dug a grow room?

8. I don't see how this is in anyway relevant to the conversation.

9. 3x3 to 5x5 is right on. if i were you i would frame off 4x4 and build the room off that with what ever budget you find appropriate for your circumstances. just know its much easier and clearly much more rewarding if you spend some money to get started.

10. was stoned att an i saw the pic and had a new idea lolaoma

11. I'm curious about trying vertical lighting sometime. This is kind of an out there suggestion but you do have the room for it and you don't have a reflector dictating that you should hang the light horizontally. With a vertical setup you would hang your light with the socket pointing down and the bulb around the top level of the plants. Then you would arrange your plants in a circle around the light at a safe distance not to get burned.

I think this is normally done with a cool tube and inline fan and I would certainly do more research if you are considering doing it. But the theory makes sense that it would be maximizing light distribution, especially if you put reflective material on the outside edge of the circle of plants. If I have the money to piss away on a cool tube I may try this on my next grow because I also have the room and I like tinkering with new ideas.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

12. I think this may be just the idea i was looking for. Thank you =]]]

13. :eek: go no more than 3'x3' (1mx1m)!! 4x4 is pushing it!

Grasscity Deals Near You