Lighting help please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by maryvillegreen, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Ok so I have decided to go with CFL's for my first grow. Only problem is I have zero idea on how to set the lights up someone help me please. I'm growing out of my closet.

They seem quite expensive, most people buy CFL bulbs or tubes are place them in regular fittings.

Look at buying a couple 45W CFL grow bulbs, perhaps make your own 'reflector lamp' (to direct light towards the plant).

All you need to know is the lumens output (2 x 500 lumens doesn't = 1,000 it's still 2 x 500 lumens, confusing i know), the spectrum e.g. 2700k/5400k/6500k which are changed upon flowering/vedge and the watts, this is how much power it uses, use that to see how effecient each bulb is, (1,000 lumens / 20 w = 50 lumens/watt)

3. #7 Black Rider, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
    Your plants will grown a ton faster with the HID lights than they would with CFLs, but I would be a little hesitant to put them in a closet unless you have some ventilation set up- they get very hot and you don't want a fire.

Are you talking about just like a fan or two? Or are you talking about cutting holes in the wall and stuff like that?

5. #9 TheAnswer121, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
    if stealth isn't an issue, keep ur closet open and a fan on. if you gotta keep it hidden, you will need to fashion a way to expell heat.

but you'd have to do that anyway.. have to maintain proper airflow and circulation regardless of setup

i keep my closet open and a small fan on the bulb. my lamp is 8 inches from tops. if heat were an issue just back it up a bit. i'd start at around 20" and work down till i find the sweet spot

I mean either holes in the wall or a way to leave the door ajar without getting light in during your dark period.

Maybe you could set something up around the door, or just take the door off the hinges and put up a plywood door with a spot for ducting? Never seen pictures of someone doing it, but that's what I was considering before I decided it was just simpler to spend 70 bucks on a grow tent.

7. What do you think I could get with a 10 gal air pot 400w hps using scrog method, yield?

8. 0 to 1/2 lb.
    Mj

from someplace on something

Where did you find a grow tent for 70??? I've been looking and only found ones for like 150+

10. #16 Black Rider, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013

I can't help you too much there. The only seedbank I've ordered from is single seed centre. They definitely aren't the cheapest, but they're nice for small grows since they sell every variety of seeds individually.

11. Maryvillegreen...I can tell you are anxious to get started on your first grow, but everything that you've asked is available as an answer if you use the "Search" function. Just type in exactly what you are looking for and it will show up every post containing your search criteria.

I'm new here also, but these questions have already been answered hundreds of times again & again in great detail. You are doing yourself a huge injustice by trying to rush because there is so much you need to read about 20 times before each subject sinks into your brain.  It's simple, but a ton of information.

Like the others have mentioned going with CFL's will be successful, but it's going to take a while vs an HID setup.  Also as others mentioned with HID you need to be able to handle the heat they put out and the airflow needed for keeping the space cooled. It's really not that big of a deal from some of the Stealth Grows I've seen on here in closets. LBH has one of the best tutorials for doing a closet sized SCROG and his setup is minimal in size and really simple for a closet grow.

I was going with LED's at first and they just aren't there yet and for the "Real LED's" it's just too damned expensive at $1800 a light.  I've grown veggies really well with T5's, but when it comes to the Flower Stage...The T5's and CFL's just don't come close to the HID/HPS especially in fast growth. I went with two 400 watt HID setups.  Yes you are going to pay more in electricity and you have to do some thinking to figure out your setup in regards to heat and airflow(Google LBH Scrog Tutorial), but it's gonna pay off quick. 

Now as far as where to get your beans(seeds)...I tried Attitude Seed Bank for my first order based on recommendation and reputation. I won't ever order from them again. First order got seized by the Feds in Chicago and so did the second one.  I've asked for them to ship through a different route and they never responded. I also asked for a refund and they've never responded.  In between all this I ordered from "Herbies" and in 9 days from the order date I had them IN HAND.  Get the Super Stealth shipping option!

I know you're trying to pull something together as fast as possible, but trust me you are going to miss out on something if you rush too much and then you will spend triple the time posting in the forums for help to fix what you missed. 

Good Luck!

Thanks this post helped a lot.