Lighting for flowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gmoneyyyy, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Have a 400 watt metal hailate bulb i want to start flowering my gdp should i just change from 18/6 to 12/12 with the same bulb , first groe

2. First thing I wanna say is, spell check. "Metal Halide" "Grow" lol

You can use that light and it will work 'ok' but you want a HPS (High Pressure Sodium)
    For a first grow it won't really matter chances are something will go wrong anyways, happens to most first time growers. Keep it going with the metal halide just switch to 12/12 and make sure there are absolutely NO light leaks.

3. Lol im smacked right now and my phones screen is cracked , wrll what problens you think ill encounter during flowrrring i really dont want anything to go rwrong any tips?

4. Red Spectrum when flowering. Eye Hortilux Super HPS! Everything else is just weak sauce.

5. Do your research. This is the best advice, that I can give you.

6. Here's LOADS of info on lighting if you're interested. Go with a HPS if you can, MUCH more efficient than MH and better spectrum for flowering. 12/12.

7. If you have the money get the hps, if you don't you can use the mh, it will work pretty well. Your main problem will most likely be interrupted light schedule, happens often even with timers. You don't need to get fancy with your first grow I would just use the mh, and keep the lighting schedule in order. Should work out fine.

8. And this ain't completely true, hps is technically the best for flowering, and orange spectrum is the best but i've seen plants that got huge under purple led lights, saying that everything besides an hps is weak is sort of a false statement.
    Plants actually like all spectrums of light, which is why they have hybrid bulbs half hps half mh, cause the plants use both spectrums of light during flowering.

Anyways good luck man! I hope it works out well for ya...

9. Actually plants cannot use all spectrums of light. HPS gives off much more lumens per watt than MH.

10. not tru by any means at all, plants(marijuana) dont even except green spectrum, aka y u can use a green light to work on your plants if its a must

11. #11 ChronicCrab, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    Ok, you missed my point. Some spectrums the plants won't like but hps is mainly orange what I was saying is, they can use other spectrums as well during flowering, such as MH which is mainly blue, there's benefits from both lights. But orange is the primary spectrum, Let's say you had had a 600W HPS, with a standard bulb, you can get better results by switching to a hybrid hps/mh bulb cause it's more of a full light spectrum... which is more like they would naturally grow, outdoor light has blue and orange in it during summer, not just orange, like the hps....

Thats what I was trying to say...

12. Which is why I said HPS when FLOWERING! You have a knack for stating the obvious...

13. #13 ChronicCrab, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
    Wow....

:poke: :eek:

Wow your awfully observant. I was just trying to tell this guy HPS IS NOT the only thing that will work with flowering you can use the metal halide, and it will work. You don't gotta have an hps to get good results. Hps is best when you can only pick from single light spectrums, combine more than one spectrum and there is more benefits for the plants. End of conversation. :bongin:

To Original Poster I hope I helped somewhat good luck.

P.S.

To the smart guy up there there is no blue in an HPS, So plain hps IS NOT THE BEST!!

14. #14 chittyAdvice, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
    ChronicCab says:

"To the smart guy up there there is no blue in an HPS, So plain hps IS NOT THE BEST!!"

One minute you're saying HPS is best for flowering, the next minute you're saying HPS IS NOT BEST FOR FLOWERING. And on top of that, you're trying to educate me with obvious information. Here's my advice for you... Don't type just to type, 'cause it makes you look like a moron.

And here's some more information for you, Cannabis plants, when in flower, soak up very little Blue Spectrum. So having a Multi spectrum bulb is a waste. AND! you also seem like the type of person who would buy anything on a sales pitch. Now I know you why you're in here regurgitating the obvious.

15. in the spring/early summer the sun gives off more of a blue spectrum. and late summer to fall it has more of an orange spectrum.. the plants flower because of the light cycle and most people will try and copy mother nature as close as possible thinking you need orange spectrum during flower.... you could flower with mh and veg with hps. i veg with hps because of more lumens per watt and they grow fast and strong. i also flower with hps and throw in 6500k cfls(the large ones) for supplemental lighting to give it a wider range of light spectrum. just my opinion but it seems like plants like the orange spectrum more than the blue

16. Wow this site is kinda getting stupid I was trying to help the guy who made this thread, I was telling him that his MH will work for flowering and when I said HPS is the best I meant "Considered the best" I was trying to help him and everyone is trying to prove me wrong I'm just saying what I have learned and read over the past few years, if I'm wrong my bad, but I know that cannabis still uses blue spectrum during flowering may not be a lot but it does and if all it has is blue spectrum it's gonna use it well...

So fu** you for being an a** when I'm just trying to have a talk about what we are all here for MARIJUANA!! Not arguing about who's right or wrong. Let people share there opinions on the subject without negative feedback... I'm done with this thread :wave: :bolt: