Lighting for closet grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Burntcasadilla, Sep 20, 2011.

1. #1 Burntcasadilla, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
    I'm thinking about using a 6400k fluorescent bulb for the vegetative stage and a 2700k fluorescent light for the flowering stage. Will this work?

Also, I'm only growing one plant with a feminized seed in my closet. I know ventilation and smell will be an issue so any tips on that will be helpful.

There are no ventilation holes near or in my closet either. I've looked through the forums and I think making a carbon filter will work and using a fan but I'm not exactly sure how they would work together.

2. You want to use the 6500k cfl for veg and when you start to flower use the 2700k cfl's/. But also leave a 6500k in there during flowering. So they get all light spectrums. As far as ventilation you can use the yeast method to add co2 in the closet. I couldnt tell you about smell or carbon filters i dont use them.. Do you have any pics?

3. No pics right now. But it's a smallish area.. Maybe 4 foot high and 3 feet wide. It's the deeper part of my closet

4. Yeah just get you some CFL's 6500k for veg and 2700k for flowering. and you have about the same size I am working with and I have 3 plants in that space. Everyone says to have a bunch of cfl's on the the plant. but to be honest i have 2 per plant on mine and the vegged great. I just started flowering and i added 2 extra cfl's per plant.

5. From what I've heard, the yeast method doesn't work. It doesn't produce enough CO2, unless you had it in a very small container.

Your lighting should work fine. You should put some money and thought into a carbon filter. You won't be able to get away with not having one unless you live alone. They are simple to make, and there are tons of tutorials.

You will need to have some sort of ventilation, or it'll turn into an oven in there. Pictures would really help everyone out.

6. I have a 20 oz bottle and i put doubloe the yeast in it. if it works idk. lol. It was reccomended to me so i thought i would give it a try.

7. Yeah I found a tutorial for a carbon filter that I plan on making. I'll post pics in a few hours

8. Also, can someone give me a good guide for using nutrients? I know at certain stages you use different combinations of npk or whatever it is but i don't really understand when to feed them or how much to give them

9. passing it on.... :smoke:

Attached Files:

10. Perfect!! But it says light for 18 hours and I was under the impression that you leave the light on 24/7 until flowering then cut the light in half

11. You can leave them on 24/0. which is what i do. So ppl say the plants need breaks. Its all on ur preferance.

12. Alright. Now I just gotta figure out ventilation since the fluorescents make a lot of heat I guess. I'll get pics of my grow space up in about 2-3 hours

13. The cfl's should put of that much heat. how many are you planning on putting in there? And with cfl's you only want them acouple inches from the plants. when you get some pics up we could figure out how to better vent your space.

14. 24/0 gets tighter node (branch) spacing than 18/6. Tried it on a clone of my baby the 18/6 plant looked less stressed but more spindly in the exact same conditions otherwise.

15. I was just thinking one 6400k and one 2700k for flowering but would I need more? I mean I'm just growing one plant at a time and I figured with the lights so close id only need one light each

16. [quote name='"Scab Herb"']24/0 gets tighter node (branch) spacing than 18/6. Tried it on a clone of my baby the 18/6 plant looked less stressed but more spindly in the exact same conditions otherwise.[/quote]

If I'm in a confined space I wouldn't want the plant to be spindly and branch out a lot I think. I'm growing white widow and I'm not sure what size they get to

17. Read the cfl faq and look at some cfl grow journals. I'm just use em for my "nursery" area and maintaing my gene pool over winter. I personaly am using 4 X 23watts just for maintaing clones and getiing them ready for outside. 100 true watts minimum per plant is the rule if you actualy want to get some smoke. 23-26 watt have the most lumens per watt and a buch of small bulbs are easier to get close.

18. Do you know the lumens of your lights? when it comes tolighting I use this formula:-
    2000 lumens per square foot. So if your closet is say 3ft x 3ft = 9sq ft, then ideally you want at least 2000 x 9 = 18000 lumens. Know wat I mean?

Also, reseach research research! Here's a link to get you going:

cannabis Lighting in the grow room

Hope this helps ;)

19. No idea of the lumens or wattage :/ still gotta go to the store and look around

20. Also, I know this is debatable, but I prefer 18.5/5.5 lighting. Think nature. Does any outdoor plant, including cannabis, get 24/0?

Every living thing needs a rest period.