Lighting for a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by J1Lupeta, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Hi Guys.
    It's my first day on the City.

I need some help about lights... I have 5 SuperSkunk seeds on the towels and tomorrow they will be ready to plant (i hope...), but i do not know if i have sufficient light at least for the first weeks in the veg. i have a total of 6 lamps, 4 with 100ww/2700k and 2 with 50ww... Do you think it's enough for the first month or should i get more? If i should get more, any advice about the wattage, brand, number, plz?

Ty guys, i hope to learn a lot with you all! :hello:

2. Are you talking 100 watt light bulbs which actually consume 100 watts or are you talking 100 watt equivalent light bulbs? There is a difference since a 20 watt cfl will claim to have the output of a 100 watt incandescent but that does not mean that you have 100 watts usable for plant growth. As far as six plants go, your going to need a lot more light than what you have. I would advise to get no less than a 600 watt or a 1000 watt MH/HPS if you want to grow that many plants.

3. I have 4 100ww lamps, yeah.
    Ok, i see i have to buy some more lights to see my beautifull babies grow. I already see two taproots in 2 of the seeds :D

Do you recommend CFL or HPS?

4. We recommend MH for vegging and HPS for flowering. They are both more efficient than cfls when it comes to light output and they also put out far more light than a cfl would.

5. nice nice, i will get one MH with 400ww for this first weeks of veg.
    Another thing... can i use some sun in the day? i live in a last floor of an apartment, so i have 3 balcony with direct sun from the morning to the afternoon, so can i use it? or 24/7 of unnatural light is better?
    I live in Portugal, today is 36ºC, so im worried about the temp..

6. Do you plan on moving the plant every time you want to transfer it from your grow area to outside? I am asking because fall is coming quite fast and daylight here in the US is really starting to decrease. I don't think that direct sunlight would hurt the plant, but then you have move it back and forth every day which could risk some type of damage to it..

As far as temp goes, you said 36c which I think is the same as 97 degrees Fahrenheit for us here in the US. That actually is quite hot for them. I like to have my temps at around 75 to 80 degrees F. You can go as high as 85 but I think 80 is probably optimal which I think is like 26 degrees for you. I would do a cycle of 18/6 instead. I'm sure there is a lot of debate on if they really need a dark period during the vegging period, but I believe it helps make the plant more healthy and helps to grow stronger.

It must be nice that you live in Portugal. I think that the country which I live in (USA) could learn a lot from your country on how to deal with its drug problems. Portugal proved that incarceration is not the answer to a nation's drug problem.

7. portugal have an very high % of "old people", and the government is the same. so the question about "marijuana" is a little controversial, because for the "old people", marijuana is a drug and for them is like cocaine or heroin. so its dificult yet to talk about weed here. but europe is growing mentaly and with Netherlands rules about marijuana is influencing the rest of the EU to be more "open-minded".
    but y, in USA i think it's very hard. With the farmacy companies paying millions to "shut up" medicinal marijuana research its difficult to do what we do.

Sorry my english. My phrase construction it's a little "dirty" :eek:

i will plant my babies in a few hours. i read about using some "plastic cups" for the first week, to better control about moisture {i do some holes in the bottom of the cup). i'm trying to grow very nice medical marijuana, so i want to do everything perfect.

8. your english seems perfectly fine to me. I know what you mean when it comes to marijuana. It seems like a lot of people over the age of 45 in the US are against it for some reason also while the younger generation is discovering the true facts about it after our government has brainwashed us for years. I'm sure that huge companies such as Anheiser Bush (America's biggest beer company) pay our government to keep marijuana illegal. If it was legal, then Budweiser would lose sales. God forbid if we were to sell less alcohol to the people who can't handle it.

you can start with plastic cups for the first week. A lot of people do that. Then you just have to hope that you can transplant them without causing any damage to the roots.

9. fucked up people. you cant smoke money, you cant eat it, you cant drink it.
    but someday we will rule this and he can chose the good things. just time its what we need. like cannabis.

i planted my first and tomorrow more 2 are coming!!
    for the transplantation, i just cut the cups and dont mess with the soil or the plant. what you think?

10. People can't smoke money, but any economist will tell you that money makes the world go around, not gravity. That is at least what they taught me in college. It seems to hold true with these large corporations which just bribe the government. Its very sad not just in the US, but world wide how canibus is treated. But if the USA was to legalize weed, then I think a huge portion of the world would jump on board.

That might work. Another tip is to water it first before transplant. It is something that I have forgot to do before, but watering the soil should make the soil stick together better.

11. so soil no collapse, y. nice one.

i hope this goes right eheh. do you have some exp in Super Skunk?

12. Exactly. I have transplanted before without watering first and the soil can be like dust. Meaning that it will just crumble. Then you find yourself trying to hold the roots or root ball intact with your hands which just isn't good. Water seems to help with holding it together. You just want to make sure that the water has been given like 15 minutes to drain first before transplant.

13. y, i do not want mud too ehhe

14. well no, you don't exactly want mud. I think that mud could be a little too soft which is the reason for allowing the water to drain. You want the soil to be damp and that way it will stick together and should be harder than mud so you don't smash it.

15. okokok man.
    ty very much. anything i need i post again. i will upload pics soon for you all help me growing these beautys.

16. Sure, you can leave them outside and bring them in under the light at night. You have to maintain the photoperiod though, IOW, the plant can't get 12 hours light one day, and 18 the next day. How are the winters whee you are. If it doesn't freeze you may be able to let them flower outdoors.

17. winter here is not frezzy, but rainy and humid! but only rain in December, and the next 30 days will be super hot!