Lighting for a Grow Tent

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by blazedank, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Hello everybody i just ordered a 32x32x60 growbox and i was wondering what i should do for lighting. i was thinking about going with this 600W system from amazon.

Amazon.com: 600w Digital Super HPS MH Grow Light System with XL Air Cooled Tube (2-in-1 Extra Large Wing). Best 600 watt hydroponic grow light set. 600w Dimmable Ballast, Super High Pressure Sodium & MH bulb, 6" Air Cooled Tube, yoyo and Timer kit. C

Has anyone had experience with this lighting system? should i stick with an hps/mh setup, or go in a different direction with leds or cfl? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks GC.

2. Blaze: if you're going to grow in a small tent then temperature and ventilation are going to be an immediate concern. A lot of tenters using HID's in small tents are operating way too hot.

Mine is a 2' by 4' by 6 1/2' and I have two side by side racks of T-5's 4' long four tubes wide that hang form the ceiling frame on adjustable cords. We keep our home cool year around and they do a great job and operate well within the 65 to 75 degree range. I hope that helps. Hank

3. 400-600w in air cooled reflector will be fine for that size . Keep in mind that your tent temperature will be 10-12f higher than intake temperature .I personally do not grow during the summer because if the heat problems , even tho I have 600w with 450cfm inline fan for reflector cooling and 150cfm inline fan with carbon filter attach to it .... Keep in mind that inline fans do not cool the air they just move it from point A to point B.

4. For a grow tent i would like to go for the fluorescent lights instead of the led lights. As the led are giving good results but looking to the long life of the fluorescent lights i am suggesting here.

5. Jake: And unless you're rich, there's a hell of a difference in cost. Hank