Lighting for 2'x5' garage grow room

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rjmarshall17, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Hi,

I'm going to be building a small 2'x5' grow room in my garage for my first ever marijuana grow. Since this is all new to me I've decided to just build a single room near a window so that I can easily exhaust air outside. I do live in a cold climate and, as they say in GOT, winter is coming. The garage is not heated but I do plan on building 2x4 walls/doors with insulation.

One suggestion I've gotten so far is to use two 400w dimmable HPS lights. The plan is to go from seed-to-harvest essentially just to keep things simple the first time around.

So my questions are: Is a setup with 2 dimmable 400w HPS lights (hoods and all) a good way to start? What about LED?

Thanks,

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi fellow blade

I myself was about to gather some items to start a setup quite similar to yours. 3 x 6.

I was thinking setting up a row of probably 4 plants and have 2 led lights on top .

I was going to order 2 3x3 tents for 100$ ea, and combine them back to back, and cut out where they a join to make one solid tent.

Then, on amazon, 600 watt led mars hydros go for just about 150$ each, if i buy the pair. I would set one up in each tent above two plants.

It really comes down to how many plants you want to do. By thumb, one plant per 100 watts is great. You want to watch out with LEDs and see what rate they give for actual watts. The 600 watt mars hydros give 300 actual watts, so I'll get 150 per plant you could say. The lights are also best suited for 3x3 areas, which you should look for when buying your lights. All lights will give you the specs you need.

Avoid chinese lights, why have something break down mid grow? LEDs last well over 10,000 hours.

It may be best to buy multiple lights rsther than 1. You can strech out your light area better that way. Also one big light will cost much more then a couple small lights. That is if you go with LED.

Best of luck amigo

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think 2x 400w would cover that area well..bulb orientation is also important though..you'd want to rig them up so the bulbs go front to back because hid bulbs throw most of their light out the sides....this might be tough to do with only 2" of width though :/

Multiple led panels could also work well for you. I think they might cover the space better and they would be easier to cool too.. Alot depends on your budget. I really like cob leds right now...there's some great diy videos out there on how to make your own cob leds. They cost a little more then hps or cheep led panels but they're worth it imo..you get more light for the wattage and they're much easier to cool. They pay for themselves pretty quick.

4. Check out cob LEDs aswell. If you want to get the newest shit. They're pretty gnarly.

I'm on a tight buget and I've never grown anything worthy...so ill advance when i start to produce peppers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you have any leads on where i could find cheap cobs? Have a whole lot on my plate and would light to watch my budget :(

6. @MasterofDutches
    I know alot of ppl go thorough 'jerry' at kingbrite on alibaba for cobs and components. I know realstyles and alot of other users have gone through him a bunch of times. I personally have gone through arrow and mouser for mine and I've never used alibaba. There's a site/tool called octopart that can grab prices from multiple places, it can be helpful for finding lowest u.s. prices. If you know exactly what you want then it's easy to find the lowest prices. Keep in mind there's also cheeper cob brands out there too (citizen,vero) but I've only researched cree stuff.

*sorry for hijack op

• Like Like x 1
  7. Is there a thread on how to build a light setup for a 2'x4' (I'm thinking that's a more typical size)? And I know that some of you are really into this, but for the novice it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. I still have no clue about which COBs, drivers, heatsinks, etc...So a pointer to a DIY build thread would be great.

Thanks,

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  8. PM me I'm a CXB nerd

SAM_1657.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. I want to do some research first just so that I can ask slightly more intelligent questions. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

10. check out the growmau5 diy cob videos on youtube...he explains everything really well. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yes he does. I've been watching them and they've been helpful.

Rob

12. @REALSTYLES When you said "PM me..." what exactly did you mean? Sorry, I'm new to the forum.

Thanks,

Rob

13. Like I said PM me and we can chat about what your going to really need I just wanted to help you do this

SAM_1691.JPG
    These are in week 4 day 3 of flower in this pic that was taken 11-14-2016.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OK. I've sent you a message.

Thanks,

Rob

15. @REALSTYLES Did you get my messages? If not, then I must still be doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Rob

16. Yeah and then I sent you one. Call me 818-925-4COB(4262)

17. @REALSTYLES Sorry, I didn't get it. I chatted with Dan at Timber Grow Lights and opted for one of their kits.

Rob

18. I'm in a very cold climate, 1 degree right now. I have a thick plywood box layered with emergency blankets on the outside and some foam and some Mylar. Then all panda plastic on the inside. Ran around it like crazy with sealer and cut a small hatch for a door. I don't know how warm you are where you are but a small electric heater keeps my Lady's at 25 degrees constant.

:RoorRip: