Lighting/Electrical

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MauiFaka, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Aloha, I have a question in regards to plugging in my new 250w light. I have a surge protector(Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor) that I was hoping to plug this light into, I'm just not sure if it can properly handle the load. I will list the specs of my surge and timer and hopefully someone with knowledge can explain if it's adequate enough. I first want to plug the light into a timer that will be plugged into the surge. Does the timer need to have certain specs as well to carry the load of the light?

SURGE

Suppressed Voltage Rating: UL 1449 330v

Max Load: 15A 125VAC 60Hz 1875W

Timer

125VAC 15A 60Hz General Purpose and Resistive

125VAC 1250W 60Hz Tungsten

125VAC 60Hz 1/3HP

This might seem like a dumb question, but I need to assure myself that I don't start a fire or kill my new light.I appreciate any help or guidance on this. Thank you.

2. Surge protector and timer are rated at 15 amps, that is your cutoff. House wiring is normally set to 20 amps so the strip and timer would pop the strip breaker before your house breaker. The light will be just over 2 amps and the rest will be 2-3 amps combined. You are just fine.

1000W lights are 9 amps and still ok to plug into a timer and strip.

3. Right on. May the great new venture begin. That answer was the only thing holding me back from turning everything on. Thank you so much.

4. #4 Calehedron, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
    You are very welcome. What island/city are you in or near? I was stationed at Schofield Barracks in Wahiawa back in 91-93. Lived at the Pearl One condos right behind the Pearl Ridge Mall in Aiea.

Edit: I'm retarded. I see Maui in your name....

5. Hey, sorry for the delay on getting back to you, I was doing the finishing touches following your advice. Doing some tests to check temps and humidity. The name says it all as to location...lol. I spent some time over in Waikiki a few years back to build a bar with some friends. I wasn't on Oahu when you were stationed but I'm sure it's a bit different that what it was like for you. They've remodeled entire blocks in Waikiki. Thanks again for the help.